The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my personal mount from my whitetail I took this past November in Manitoba. Anyone looking for a great 6 Day Rifle whitetail hunt during the peak of the rut for only $2,500 contact me. Only 8 tags per year.

·
4,245 Posts
I like the mount but why the repair?

Did you break them off or did you shoot him that way?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For my own stuff I normally don't repair tines. Im a fan of it is what it is when I shoot it, But I wanted a piece to take to shows and banquets etc. that shows before and after.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Nice mount, but I would not have repaired it because that is not the deer you shot. I do understand why you did it though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The mount is cool ! But I don't understand why people have their bucks repaired cause that's not the way they shot it , some people may think different but I never would repair antlers just leave them as they was.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all the positive comments on my mount.
Joe - no antler restrictions. The area is huge and bucks are dying of old age. Very little pressure!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I almost had one fixed but decided against it mainly because it just wasnt that nice of a buck. Probably a 90" 8 point with 2" of the tip of the beam missing. I had a friend that shot a 5 point that should have been a real nice 6. Thick bases, 17" wide, but about a 9" g2 snapped off clean right at the beam. He had the buck mounted and the entire point was reconstructed. I was somewhat ok with that, i mean come on a big 6 like that is rare, but when he and his dad tells people the story and shows the mount off in the cabin they always fail to mention to anyone that it was actually a 5 and not a 6 when he shot it. Does it really matter? I dont know but it is what it is. Another guy i know shot a one horned buck that would have probably been a nice 8 point. He had it mounted and the taxidermist put a whole new horn on the broken side from a shed that he had laying around. They actually matched up pretty well but i absolutely do not understand that one but to each their own.

A lost tip here and there is fine and i dont see why it would hurt to fix something minor to have a nice mount on the wall, but i dont see the point in major reconstructions. Ive passed up bucks that i would normally shoot because i thought they looked too busted up. However, on a paid hunt, i would not have passed that deer at all. Not sure i would here at home either especially in rifle season. I would have probably done a euro or a plaque mount personally.

All that said, this is a very nice mount and you did a great job show casing your skills. Did you have any photo's of the deer to make sure you had proper tine length?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts