The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my property just finished getting cut about 2 weeks ago, and i'm going to plant the log landing in something. It's roughly 1/2-3/4 lot, that will get a lot of sunlight.

I've been looking at different things, and called both companies. Antler King suggested their Honey Hole/Slam Dunk. Whitetail Institute suggested Secret Spot.

It's mountain ground, I don't know what the PH level is, but I know Secret Spot has a PH Booster, and the guy from Antler King suggested Plot Max.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Spend $10ish and do a soil test through Penn State or another avenue. That will tell you what you will be able to plant this fall.

Otherwise, you may be wasting your money on seed that will not grow very well.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Why don't you try winter rye or wheat for a first time plot Germitnates quick and will improve your soil for next year

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I decided to do a Soil Test through Whitetail Institute. Just sent it in this morning.
I think you will be glad you did!

And I concur that rye is a great choice, as long as you are prepared to deal with it next spring. It makes a lot of biomass when it gets to maturity, but the roots are a great soil builder for next year's plot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts