The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready today to serve the tradional pork, sauerkraut, and mashed taters to family and friends. I went to mash the taters and the mixer burned up ! I got a house full of guests, forks in hand, and I am in a pinch! Our kitchen is decorated with antique cookware and utensils. I glance up and get a revelation, theres a tater ricer hanging on the wall. This thing has not been used in probably 75 years ! I quick washed the old girl up, got the wife to scoop and load, and we had the best mashed taters you could ask for ! The kids thought the old contraption was great, and it sure saved the day !

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
you can usually put one mixer shaft in a drill and save the day. Once offered to cook dinner for a buddy and our girlfriends. Had everything ready and no mixer. Used a drill and a large wooden fork. Took a while, but got them mashed

·
Administrator
28,378 Posts
Okay, if we're doing kitchen tips and obscure gadgets, here's my contribution to the thread;
If you make your own gravy to put on those fine smashed potatoes you shouldnt oughta be making greasy gravy.
There's a kitchen utensil called a gravy separator that gets around that. Strain the pan scrapings into it, wait a minute or two until the fat rises to the top, and then pour the good liquid out from under the fat and use it to make your gravy.

You can find such a thing in a specialty shop for $5.99 to $7.99.
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Side Note</span>
On a cold winter night, you'll be a hero in somebody elses eyes if you pour that leftover fat over the dog's food.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I use a ricer every time I make mashed taters. Got it at a yard sale years ago. My mixer wielding wife looks at me like I'm nuts when I use it, but I just tell her that we're going green.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts