The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
firearms industry in America. Firearms companies will simply destroy themselves by continuing to produce poorly made and overpriced firearms. Whenever I walk into a gun store I find myself completely disinterested in 3/4 of the newly produced firearms on the shelves. Everything affordable looks and feels like it is made by Fisher-Price. Any firearm of quality is simply unaffordable to the average Joe. I am not buying garbage and I can't afford anything worth owning. I'll stick to buying older, well crafted, well maintained, used firearms from the private market. I can't picture most companies surviving if this trend continues.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Holy Cow!! I feel the same way. They push F/P style guns on us for high $$$. I hate Accu-Trigger type triggers and over half have that crap now. I want good walnut stocked/blued barreled guns for a decent price and preferably with open sights. Thank the Lord for all of the used guns in the USA. Even then you have to be patient and buy right. The computer has made almost everyone a firearm high pricer. I hate to have this attitude but I have been really frustrated on this subject for a while

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
RobOz said:
Anyone know what a Model 70 cost in 1950?
I know what one cost in 1970. My brother bout a Model 70 Sporter in .222 for either $100 or $110. Now, that same rifle without open sights is about $800. Crazy. I bought the same 1970 rifle in .270 over the summer used but never fired in perfect condition for $600. It got me a real Winchester with open sights for a decent price. I bet they would charge $1000 for that rifle now. I would pay $600 for new guns like that and be quite happy. My now gone Remington 700 BDL .270 cost $399 new in 1988 and I thought that was fair then. They are double that now-crazy. Actually, the best deal on the market is probably the Savage Axis 1 if you don`t mind the stock. Under $300 priced right.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
In 1955 the win model 70 in 300 HH mag listed in there catalog for $79.50 , but you must understand that in 1955 that much money for many for a gun was unattainable and just a dream.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I bought a new pre 64 mod. 70 win. 264 westerner in 62 or 63 for $115.00 In Sols Sporting good store in Aliquippa pa.
Drags

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
drags said:
I bought a new pre 64 mod. 70 win. 264 westerner in 62 or 63 for $115.00 In Sols Sporting good store in Aliquippa pa.
Drags
That is around 900 bucks in today's dollar. What did you scope it with?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I put a Bausch and Lomb Balvar eight scope on the rifle it had no internal adjustments the adjustments were in the mounts. Of course I sold the rifle (big mistake) I have thought of buying a new mod 70 in .264 but at my age I probably would not get any use out of it. Around that same time period I had a .220 swift in a pre 64 mod. 70 varmint that I don't have any more I wish I still had it, it had a unertle ultra varmint scope on it 15x. Drags

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I just got rid of my last Balvar 8 last year. They were a great scope in there time. You could not buy a better rifle scope combo then what you had at that time.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
There are still well made rifles today, but you will pay for them.

The reason manufacturers are producing those cheap, low quality rifles is because the consumers are demanding them. Nobody is willing to pay for quality anymore, they just want it CHEAP.

The difference between a quality made rifle and one of the cheapos is night and day. My Model 70 cost close to $700 about 10 years ago but it is quality all around. I got my hands on one of those Remington 770s or 783s, can't remember which one, but man is was like apple and oranges comparing that to the 70. I can open the bolt on my 70 and tip the gun up and it slides right out like butter. I had to fight with the Remmy just to get the bolt open and then closed again. But hey, it's really cheap!!!

I am not afraid to pay for quality because I know it will last for my lifetime, my kids' lifetime, and their kids' lifetime if maintained properly.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
There are still well made rifles today, but you will pay for them.

The reason manufacturers are producing those cheap, low quality rifles is because the consumers are demanding them. Nobody is willing to pay for quality anymore, they just want it CHEAP.

The difference between a quality made rifle and one of the cheapos is night and day. My Model 70 cost close to $700 about 10 years ago but it is quality all around. I got my hands on one of those Remington 770s or 783s, can't remember which one, but man is was like apple and oranges comparing that to the 70. I can open the bolt on my 70 and tip the gun up and it slides right out like butter. I had to fight with the Remmy just to get the bolt open and then closed again. But hey, it's really cheap!!!

I am not afraid to pay for quality because I know it will last for my lifetime, my kids' lifetime, and their kids' lifetime if maintained properly.
I may be complaining about new quality gun prices but you make very good points Trask. There is something about a great quality wood stocked, blued gun for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts