The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in antes fort pa formerly known as fort antes but abandoned during the great run away during the French and indian war just wondering if anybody on here has done some digging around the area and what they have found

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive been doing some research and been asking around and went to the local museum and I might have figured out were the actual fort was and were the local indian tribe had lived according to old photos so we will see

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep that's were ill be looking at the start of the local stream were it comes out of the mountain allot of the studies about the local tribe said there camp was in a field by the mouth of antes creek and there is only one field there

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I was just in your neighborhood a couple weeks ago . ( Lamar ) If you truly want some feedback , go to TreasureNet and post under Pennsylvania . Very helpful members there for research & detecting . Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on your finds .

Wow , I just looked at a Google search , Legends of America , Fort Antes and the Big Runaway . It points out ALL the locations of the Grist Mill & Fort locations very precisely . Should be an interesting search for you !

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I am familiar with the area. The Taber museum in Williamsport has some Antes Family artifacts including one of his guns. About all of the area is private property...you will need to be kind and diplomatic. Also..it takes about 40 years for a field to be retaken by forest.. So its very improbable something bare today was cleared 240 years ago..but not possible. The Williamsport library has enormous amounts of colonial info. And maps. They are very helpful as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts