The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a special county that they like to send their anterless applications to and/or does anyone know what county processes/sells the largest number of anterless deer applications in a year?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Well after following some of RSB's posts I followed suite and sent it to ELK from Montgomery county. They by far are the fastest treasurer I've ever use!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Find out what regional mail processing facility your local P.O. sends the mail to and try that county. My mail goes 3 counties over so that's at least 2 days(out + back) in a truck on the road. I now apply to that county treasurer ... figuring it gets to that CT the fastest. She's been good to me the past 3 years..

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'll tell you which one I will never use again....Delaware County. Took 2 weeks for my apps to be processed.

·
Premium Member
Ravin R9
5,629 Posts
I thought my Co. Treasurer was good, last year and this year all my tags were awarded
and in hand within 5 days of mailing.
My son, son in law and daughter applied to the same treasurer.
All 3 tags were awarded for 2G but as of last friday they still have not come in the mail yet.
So who knows.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Does anyone have a special county that they like to send their anterless applications to and/or does anyone know what county processes/sells the largest number of anterless deer applications in a year?
Because people have been burned by a few County Treasurers, they are tight-lipped when they find a good one, who does their expected tasks expeditiously. And telling a hunting forum about their "honey-hole" isn't only about hunting spots...

I would change the question to "Who do I NOT send an app to?". I would hazard a guess You will get a better set of responses, and can take it from there with a process of elimination...

And keep in mind that the processing is the important part. Taking 3-4 weeks to get it mailed back ain't no thang!

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
I've said it before and I will say it again. It is FAR more about the person who is sending the application than it is about the treasurer who it is sent to.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I've said it before and I will say it again. It is FAR more about the person who is sending the application than it is about the treasurer who it is sent to.
C'Mon Kudu, if that was the case, half of us, including myself, would never see a tag! >:)

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
I used to just fill them out and send them, but as I get older I fill them out, have my wife double check all of it and then send it.

But that is what I'm talking about. I would bet if the truth were known with all of the boo-hooing on here about not getting licenses there is some type of operator error on the applicants part whether they want to admit it or not. And I would put that number at 99% of the time, from filling something out improperly to just not mailing in a timely fashion.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I used to just fill them out and send them, but as I get older I fill them out, have my wife double check all of it and then send it.

But that is what I'm talking about. I would bet if the truth were known with all of the boo-hooing on here about not getting licenses there is some type of operator error on the applicants part whether they want to admit it or not. And I would put that number at 99% of the time, from filling something out improperly to just not mailing in a timely fashion.
That's probably mostly true, but there are, or at the very least were, a handful of treasurers that don't seem to give a hoot about doe tags and don't process them in a timely manner or don't staff up for the 'event' or whatever the case may be. There are also many (most?) treasurers in this state that doe tags are their bread and butter and they'll do what ever it takes to get as many through as possible in as short a time frame as possible. Elk County is one of the latter....I don't mind putting that one out there since Dick has hammered that home for years on here. There are others that are just as good. There's also others that fall into the middle of the extremes. Then there's the whole election-changes-things stuff when you get a new treasurer and just don't know what to expect in regards to doe tag processing. The one I send to recently changed in the last election....I was leery but sent there anyway. Lucky for me the new treasurer is even better than the last one with doe tags. They were always processed quickly and I always had them on time, but it was usually September when I'd actually get the tag. I know that doesn't really matter, but it's a principle thing for me. The new guy processed and had my tag back to be within two weeks. I was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
10,683 Posts
There were tags left through the NR round in every unit this year. There is no reason for any resident to not get at least one tag unless they screw it up themselves.

Where the treasurer comes into play, as well as the issues that you bring up, are in the unsold rounds. Then, yes, it can help if you send to a "better" treasurer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts