The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is for an older fellow at my gun club. (Honest..really!!!) The words "computer and Google" have no meaning to him at all!!

He has a Bear laminated, leather grip, 64", 53#, Polar recurve bow. Now, he is giving this to one of his kids, but he needs to know, or is curious about the worth of the bow. It's in very good shape.

From what I can determine, the bow was manufactured in the late 50's (since it has the leather grip). I don't know (at this point) what type of metal coin is in the bow.

Anyway, for you guys that know this stuff.....just give me a ballpark number of the going rate for one of these.

Thanks much

Dave

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
If you can find out what type of metal the inlay was made out of, that will help to better determine the year, location it was made and the value. If its a Grayling Mich. made bow (which, I think it would be due to it being manufactured in the 50's) it will be more valuable. I'll have to dig out my Traditional Bowhunter magazines. I have two issues that had a two part series on the Bear Grayling bows that covered their history and value.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Re: Another "Value" question Bear Polar

The 64" recurve(semi-recurve) was made from 1955-1960. Not really sure of the value but I've seen the Polar longbows go anywhere from $75-$150. I have a Polar longbow with a double shelf from the 50's that I paid $80 for it. Also,the coin was first introduced in 1959...so if it doesn't have a medallion,it's pre-59

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it has the leather grip....so it was built before 1959.(If I read the info correctly). I mentioned to the fellow to give his son a call (Son lives in MI) and ask him what the Medal inlay is made of.

I kidded with him and told him the phone call may cost him more that the bow's value. Of course, he stated since it was one of his kids...."what else is new!" Hey....I've got three....all in their 20's....I can't argue with that!!!

When I find out, I'll post it.

Thanks for your responses.

Dave

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
i bought one over the summer,i paid $80 for it. nice bows but as far as collectabilty not to desireable,but then again it depends on who wants it and how badly they want it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts