The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the Agenda for the upcoming Commissioners meeting includes further restrictions on the firearms that may be used for small game....it will likely pass and will ban the use of any centerfire cartridges for small game other than woodchucks...

IMO, another instance of bureaucracy at its worst...people with nothing better to do than "fix" something that isn't broken and, in the process, further restrict the freedom of choice that, as presently exists, does no harm to anyone or anything....

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stoolshooter said:
Agreed, and isn't it about time they allowed semi auto rimfires for small game, i.e., squirrels?
Sure is past time for that, too....I'd love being able to use a Winchester 63 or 1903 and there's a lot of people who would enjoy using their tricked-out 10/22s....

Unfortunately, the misconceptions surrounding the use of semi-automatics as "unsafe" abound in this state...

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Having hunted in wVa. where semi's are legal I can say that some are unsafe with them. Can you imagine someone with a 10/22 emptying a 50 round magazine at a running squirrel?

·
Registered
993 Posts
rflktrman said:
Having hunted in wVa. where semi's are legal I can say that some are unsafe with them. Can you imagine someone with a 10/22 emptying a 50 round magazine at a running squirrel?
How is that the fault of the 1022 ??
Any zero that would do that shouldn't be in the woods with any weapon...

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Well ,I for one am opposed to semi-auto's being allowed for small game and big game. If you can't hit game with a bolt or pump action then what makes you think that semi will help you?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Sidney Smith said:
Well ,I for one am opposed to semi-auto's being allowed for small game and big game. If you can't hit game with a bolt or pump action then what makes you think that semi will help you?
I don't think it's that people can't hit the game with bolts or pumps. Some people just want to use their semi's. I was pretty depressed when I moved here and found out I couldn't use my 10/22, that I invested hundreds of dollars in, to small game hunt. No I don't need 50 shots to hit something, but I really liked that gun.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Just out of curiosity, you guys against the bann on centerfire rifles for small game, what animals are you using those firearms on? I can honestly not think of anything on the small game that you need anything bigger than a 22 lr to kill. IMHO keep the trigger happy semi's out of the woods. The only thing they would lead to is more wounded game running around. There is nothing wrong with a good single shot, bolt or pump gun. Make your first shot count and don't worry about the rest.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I have nothing against the 10/22 just sold one to my neighbor. I used it as an example!

·
Registered
526 Posts
duckman76 said:
Just out of curiosity, you guys against the bann on centerfire rifles for small game, what animals are you using those firearms on? I can honestly not think of anything on the small game that you need anything bigger than a 22 lr to kill. IMHO keep the trigger happy semi's out of the woods. The only thing they would lead to is more wounded game running around. There is nothing wrong with a good single shot, bolt or pump gun. Make your first shot count and don't worry about the rest.

I know personally (and I suspect Winbob has them too) I would want to build a 17 or 20 squirrel cartridge which is a centerfire version of a 22 mag for when I move back to PA. I love squirrel hunting and I can see where it would be great to have one. My 17 AH would be a great squirrel cartridge.

What are they gaining by banning them? How many people does it affect?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I was just wondering. I've hunted squirrel since I was 13 with a 22 lr and never saw the need for even a mag. I have tried a 22 mag and 17hmr on them, all it did was rip really big holes through their heads. I'll just stick with the trusty old lr.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The average hunter won't be affected by a restriction like this....the average hunter is likely unaware of the kind of accuracy possible from a tricked-out 10/22. The average hunter is equally unaware of the people who have an interest in the development of super-accurate "little" centerfires and who derive much enjoyment of being able to use them to pot a squirrel or two now and again...

As I said a lot of people automatically equate a semi-automatic rifle with the urge to spray lead....just as I'm sure they look at someone driving a car with over six cylinders as someone who wants to speed.....

You suspected right, too, Rick....

·
Banned
265 Posts
I've used a .22 LR or .22 Short for hunting small game for longer than I can remember and both do the job as well as I can. That said, the idea of building a little tiny centerfire for use on small game would be a lot of fun and would still put meat on the table. I don't believe that "the state" should spend our tax money debating the issue. Let those who are interested and willing to spend the time and money required to build a centerfire for small game hunting have THEIR fun. If they are spending their time and money to build a rifle specifically for small game I would bet that they are going to be darn sure that it spoils no meat and kills cleanly. Just my HO.

Terry

·
Registered
25,639 Posts
The regs for arms and ammunition legal for small game, were actually changed a few years ago. Last year it stated "manually-operated rifles and handguns less than 23 caliber". No restrictions on bullet diameter for woodchucks, although IIRC, the original proposal didn't exclude woodchucks and there was some fuss about it?

Looked thru the agenda items and noted some mention of "maximum" caliber for small game, didn't really pay much attention to it. Will go look again.

I've owned a 10/22 for over 30 years. Up until recently, it was bone stock. Now it has a Green Mountain barrel and a Fajen adjustable thumb hole stock wrapped around it. Fun to shoot, very accurate. Would love to be able to shoot tree rats and small game with it someday. Also have a newer one, stock barrel.

Those hunters in other states that have long been able to hunt with semis, don't understand why they're prohibited in PA. Over 8 years on the internet has brought many comments from them and they are astounded that we can't use them here. Most are equally dazzled that we can't hunt much on Sunday, either. I tell 'em it's PA, nothing ever changes here, unless the politicians and other dunderheads want it to change.

Can't recall the last time I needed more than one shot to drop a deer, but I sure would enjoy hunting them in the thick stuff with my Mini 30 and the peep sight. Why? Because it's just another capable rifle I've owned for years, but due to our regs, can't hunt with.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Lewellen said:
I don't believe that "the state" should spend our tax money debating the issue.

Terry

And it's not a good thing to let politicians tell us what is best for us. There is too much involvement by the politicians in our issues of late, thanks to the USP. And the way the NRA has been intervening on our issues, you'd think they'd be here for this one.

But on that note....I was hunting West(by God)Virginia one year, and sighting in my rifle. I just finished my grouping, and scoped my results. I was using a shooters target at exactly 100 yards. Just then a "local" sat next to me, walked out with a 4'x 4' brown cardboard sheet. Nothing on it. Sat down, pulled out an AK-47 with banana clip, and proceeded to unload. With barrel smoking, he turned his head and said, "if it's brown, it's down." I fear the woods with the likes of his kind!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts