The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted last night from 8pm til 4am. Saw a total of zero eyes. I hunted alot of places where I've usually seen/killed fox. I only saw one grey fox track. He came in from across the road behind me, I saw his track in mine while walking back to my truck.
I only saw one coyote track (not fresh). I did see fishers tracks at three different locations, none of which I have ever seen a fisher track at before.
Even though it was partly cloudy out, It was still bright enough that I didn't have to use my lights. The last two nights I hunted I haven't seen a thing. It's the lack of tracks that has me concerned.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep, called a couple spots that I know holds greys and nothing. Too bright I think like you said. Gonna head back out tonight? I am if it doesnt get too windy, supposed to be 10-12 mph . . . thats manageable

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Was out for a few hours last night. Partner had to work today so we were done by 11. Called a cat and seen some deer.

G

·
Hey Beagler...I took a good friend out last night from 6 pm until 4:40 A.M. to call for him for a contest. We saw twelve sets of eyes and not a single fox would come in...same thing happened last time...all fox by their holes not responding to calls. It has to have something to do with the mating season...hearing this pretty consistently from alot of honest guys. Maybe things will change in a couple weeks. I have had good luck in late January and February in the past. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think its gonna be poor until this moon goes away. Its really bright out at night

·
Registered
737 Posts
Same here no luck. If someone figurers out the perfect night let me know because I sure can't. I usually will try to stay out longer on nights I see eyes within the first three sets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
me too, called at 5 different spots miles away from each other all spots have been active in past years. I'm going to check for tracks in the snow in the am at these locations. I have never been skunked in 5 sets ever before always see something even if no kill.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Sorry for your luck beagler, I went out last night and nailed the biggest red I think I ever got. Usually don't have much luck on the full moons but couldn't resist going last night, didnt need a light and could see forever. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
beagler said:
I've had some of my best nights when it was bright out, go figure?
I wasn't expecting much with the full moon, but I called in 4 reds last night. The full moon did us good last night.
Now getting them on the ground, that's another story...

·
Registered
978 Posts

+1 Beagler. Called in 11 in 5.5 hours on this full moon hunt and netted these. With a partner all 11 were shootable. Tactics must change with the full moon but, they still will respond. Good luck and don't let alittle more light keep you on the couch.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
92 Posts
TFC2223X said:

+1 Beagler. Called in 11 in 5.5 hours on this full moon hunt and netted these. With a partner all 11 were shootable. Tactics must change with the full moon but, they still will respond. Good luck and don't let alittle more light keep you on the couch.

Kirk McKendree

can i come hunt with you?!!!

i have never actually killed anything at night. i keep going though. i figure it will happen sooner or later, i just have to remember to chamber a round! thats another story.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Your 1st is the hardest. Especially, when nothing is chambered. I wish I could do more guiding/teaching in the field but, its just not possible which is one reason why I started doing seminars years ago to try to cover more ground and shorten the learning curve. I am mostly a solo hunter by choice. Here is some inspiration. My first year of calling I hit it hard and called in nothing. An entire season without anything being called into to see let alone shoot. I almost gave up after that season. Glad I didn't because I can slay them now on the very same ground that I couldn't make it happen on many years ago. Stick with it. Learn about the predator to be hunter. Choose your sets wisely and respect their abilities. This is a wind game much of the time unless you are bobcat hunting. Good luck and I assure you it will happen.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">Glad I didn't because I can slay them now on the very same ground that I couldn't make it happen on many years ago. </span>

I find this statement really interesting.

So many times when we are unsuccessful, it is too easy to think, "We don't have THAT kind of hunting around here."

Kind of like saying "I'd like to see Tiger Woods play the dumpy golf courses we have around here."

One side of me says, "Why would we not have a good fox/ (coyote) population around here? The terrain looks just like the pictures in the book."

The other side, (my pride I guess), makes excuses.....

From what I have seen on here, Kirk is the Tiger Woods of predator hunting and I have no doubt he could kill predators in MY area.

I guess I just need to work harder at it.

Good luck all......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts