The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got into muzzleloading last year so forgive me for the simplistic question. At the end of last season I took a shot on a deer and when I tried to reload I couldn't get the sabot bullet down the barrel to re-seat. The first load with a clean barrel went right in with out a problem but after the shot the sabot probably went about 1/2 way down the barrel before it would go any further. After the first shot I did nothing to the barrel besides putting in the new charge and bullet. What did I do wrong and how can I avoid the problem in the future? Clean? Lube?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
thats powder fouling for you. The best thing you can do is find a clean powder like Blackhorn209 - American pioneer - shockeys gold ( the last 2 powders listed arent very good ones)

Or you will have to swab the bore after its fired.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
A few questions first:

Type of gun, type of powder and type of sabot?

Some gun and powder combos foul worse than others and some sabots just cannot push through that fouling. I personally use powerbelts and I have never had a reload problem but I tried the Hornaday TXP and they were very difficult to reload on a fouled barrel.

GBJ

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Run a lube patch and then a dry patch after each shot.

Chances are good if you miss with a ML you not going to get off a second shot on the same deer.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grey Bear Jr said:
A few questions first:

Type of gun, type of powder and type of sabot?

Some gun and powder combos foul worse than others and some sabots just cannot push through that fouling. I personally use powerbelts and I have never had a reload problem but I tried the Hornaday TXP and they were very difficult to reload on a fouled barrel.

GBJ
Gun: Traditions Buckhunter

Powder: 2) 50gr Pyrodex Pellets

Sabot: Powerbelt

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
yeah more than likely just all the fouling build up. I get the same in my cva accura. After 2 shots its time to clean. What primers are you using? Maybe check out the Winchester 777 primers.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am using shockey's gold 3f and I fired 20 shots and never had a problem loading. I am also using round balls and a lubed patch if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you say to clean between shots, is it sufficient to run a wet patch on a jag or do I need to brush it?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
MMike is correct, running a wet patch down between shots keeps the barrel consistant, remember the Gold Rule for muzzys, Do everything the same every time. Same powder, same ball, same patch, same pressure loading, same amount of crud in the barrel. If its an inline same cap/primer, same sabot/ball of your choice. You are building a reload with out the case. If it doesn't group well or gives you problems change 1 thing at a time till she gives you a nice result.
As for simple questions, The guys on here will gladly answer your questions. We all started green and had to learn. You just may ask the question that others would like answered but were to shy to ask. Its amazing what you can learn just by checking on here now and then.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
when I got to the range I bring a water jug to drink and pour on the patch. I use an old t-shirt and cut it up. I am also using real blk powder so I run it through every two shots.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I care 3 pill bottles in my pouch . 1 with dry patches ,1 with patches with water ,and 1 with patches with some alcohol on them . The alcohol will not freeze so they work well when the temps. are below freezing and I like to use them to fast flash pan clean ups . Thanks Big Red I have learned allot from this site . Everything I know came from right here .

·
Banned
900 Posts
I use snuff cans to put them in. The metal lid rusts after a month or 2 then I change cans.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Those plastic film canisters with the snap on lids work great, waterproof and will take a beating. Not many 35MM cameras around anymore :(.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have found that isopropyl alcohol does a good swab job in the field. I just wet several patches and put them in a film canister and 5 or 6 dry patches in another and carry them along. I use only real BP in all my rifles and it can get real messy in a hurry plus I sight in with as clean a barrel as I can so want it that way if possible in the field. I use a quality oil in the barrel when I store it and clean that out with an alcohol patch and a couple dry ones before loading to go hunting or any shooting. Just run a wet patch down the barrel followed by a couple of dry ones. The reason I use alcohol is it seems to do a good job on the mess and drys very quickly plus it is a flammable even if there is a little left in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts