The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the question about the huts now I have another lol

Can you trap for muskrats and mink around dams? It looks like a muskrat dam because it small and has no sticks in it so it don't look like a beavers. I put a mink box beside it because I saw tracks and think I saw a slide coming down it and put 110 there. Or does the 15 foot rule still apply

I hope you all had a good thanks giving and good luck on Monday on who goes

·
Registered
434 Posts
Muskrats don't make dams. At least I have never seen or heard of one. They have bank dens and huts. I have seen a few beaver dams made of rocks and mud without any big sticks. It might just be a pile of stream debris. Post a picture of it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope I has a little mud worked up on it to hold it back, no beaver slide, no sticks, no chews etc. just mud, is it legal to trap when targeting mink and muskrats ?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Rats may not make a full blown dam but they will do there best to stop water from getting out of a pond. They will clog drainage pipes and stuff any outlet with grasses and such. Perfectly legal to trap these areas for rats.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wild Trout 24/7 said:
Rats may not make a full blown dam but they will do there best to stop water from getting out of a pond. They will clog drainage pipes and stuff any outlet with grasses and such. Perfectly legal to trap these areas for rats.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Many years ago I saw where muskrats made a small dam. It was a dry summer and fall. I was prospecting for muskrats on a small stream and saw where they made a dam. There was an outdoor writer that interviewed me for an outdoor publication, when I told him about the dam he asked me to take him there. He took pictures of it and told about it in his article.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts