The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this mushroom - right in the middle of a forest path - it was not growing next to any particular tree trunk.

I am stumped - looks a bit like a red top, but I am just guessing.

Sorry for pic quality - I took several but messed them up when transferring to PC - so this is all I got to share.

The top was light tan with bumps all over it,
the underside was smooth white, no fins at all.

what say you?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff - there were a few hemlocks in the area - this mushroom was right smack in middle of path - at least 10 feet from nearest tree.

The only schrooms I will harvest and eat are papinkis and sheepshead - they are the only two I can positively no questions asked ID.

Thanks for looking.

The woods are absolutely loaded with all sorts of mushrooms. Banner year withall this moisture.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Possibly a gem-studded puffball. Edible. Yet, it goes without saying, don't eat a thing without proper id

·
Registered
732 Posts
It's hard to tell what this is without seeing the top. It's definitely not a gem-studded puffball. Those really don't have a stem of any great length and the cap is joined with the stem (so to speak). This pic shows a very long stem and you can almost make out gills underneath the cap. There is no "underneath" on a puffball.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts