The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I can only take one youth at a time with me when I hunt with my youngest son who is 11. My question is now that my oldest son is 16 and can legally hunt alone, can he hunt with my youngest son and I during the upcomming youth turkey hunt in April?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No, a Jr hunter cannot be a mentor to a mentored youth. Definition of Mentor in the regulations, chapter 147: Mentor—A licensed person, 21 years of age or older who is serving as a guide to a mentored youth while engaged in hunting or related activities.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Junior Licenses and Hunters: Persons under 17
years of age must have their parent or legal guardian’s
approval to purchase a general hunting, combination
or furtaker license. Persons who turn 17 after
purchasing a Junior License can still hunt that year
with the Junior License. 11-year-olds who have
successfully completed a required Hunter-Trapper
Education course may apply for a Junior License if
they will be 12 years old by June 30 of the license
year. They may not lawfully hunt with the license
prior to their 12th birthday. Persons 12 and 13 must
be accompanied by an adult member of the family
(at least 18), or by an adult serving in place of a
parent. Persons 14 and 15 must be accompanied by
any adult 18 or older. 16-year-olds may hunt alone.
It is unlawful while accompanying junior hunters to
be out of sight of or unable to physically or verbally
control the junior hunter or to fail to comply with
fl uorescent orange requirements. Verbal instructions
given through the use of an electronic or other sound
amplifi cation device does not meet this requirement.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
can he hunt with my youngest son and I
Which is what I was getting at. That said, I'm not sure what he is asking since he "hunt with my youngest son and I". I believe at 16, they don't need an adult within "arms reach" of them, correct ? Can't remember back that far. If that's the case, his oldest boy can be as far as he wants away from them.

·
Super Moderator
26,996 Posts
I initially read it the same way John did, but after re-reading I think I understand now.
If he still has a Jr license he can participate in the Youth turkey hunt. But if you are sitting with the 11 year old, the 16 year old must be on his own. I think.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
John S said:
No, a Jr hunter cannot be a mentor to a mentored youth. Definition of Mentor in the regulations, chapter 147: Mentor—A licensed person, 21 years of age or older who is serving as a guide to a mentored youth while engaged in hunting or related activities.
I think you misunderstood the question, John. The OP is asking if his 16 year old son can accompany him(the adult OP) while he's(the adult OP) mentoring his 11 year old son.

I don't see why he couldn't. The 16yo(with exception of some seasons/rules w/ a jr license) is, for all intents and purposes, an adult licensee. I don't see it any different than if it were YOU and the OP and his 11yo son.

Basically, the 16yo is on his own whether he's sitting next to his dad or not. He's not required to be there, but not forbidden to be either.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes I did misunderstand. The following are the regs for accompanying mentored youth. Since I am no longer activly enforcing the law I am not sure how the PGC interprets #2 below and recommend the OP call the PGC to ask his question.

§ 147.805. Safety.
While engaged in mentored youth hunting activities:

(1) A mentored youth shall be stationary, within arms reach and subject to the immediate control of the mentor at all times while in possession of any lawful hunting device.

(2) A mentor may not accompany more than one youth, <span style="font-weight: bold">including junior hunters,</span> at any given time.

(3) A mentor and mentored youth may not collectively possess more than one lawful hunting device at any given time.

(4) A mentor and mentored youth shall both comply with section 2524 of the act (relating to protective material required) and with any regulations promulgated by the Commission relating to protective material.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts