The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are 3 1/2 hours away from camp. 2 weeks ago I brushogged the food plot and sprayed.
We are going back up next weekend. Question now is this.
My buddy wants to cut and spray again next week.
Then in 2nd week August he wants to lime and till the plot.
Early September he wants to plant a mix of clover, rape, turnips, kale and other stuff. It is on the bag that he can plant that late.
Judging from the responses on the last thread it may be a bit late.
I also think if the plot is tilled and sits for a month it may start growing more weeds and grass. he seems to think it will give the lime more time to work.
I think we should plant the seed after he tills and works the lime in when we go in early August as the lime takes a lot longer to work so not gaining any thing.
Comments?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Since you already sprayed the plot, the next time you are up, I would lime the plot. When you go up in early August, I would till and plant. Even though bag says you can plant into September, you will get much better growth and results planting in early August when you are up. I agree with you, get lime on sooner than later.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
delphic93 said:
Since you already sprayed the plot, the next time you are up, I would lime the plot. When you go up in early August, I would till and plant. Even though bag says you can plant into September, you will get much better growth and results planting in early August when you are up. I agree with you, get lime on sooner than later.
Good luck!
The grass and weeds were 5' tall when I cut it. Im sure we will still have to spray again cause there was so much cut grass covering the ground. Can we lime and spray? Spray one day , lime the next? Can lime be spread on top and not tilled? Wasn't planning on taking tractor and tiller this trip

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would do basically as delphic said. The next time you go up, I would spray again. If you want to lime the next day, it won't hurt anything. You could just lime before you disc. The lime being on a few weeks earlier, really isn't going to make a difference.

Since the plot was so tall before you cut and sprayed last time, I bet you will still have a lot of growth but will have a more successful spray this time around.

I would not wait to plant until September. I would not plant any later than the third week of August but preferably the first or second week. September just doesn't give you enough growing time before day light starts to get shorter and we start seeing heavy frosts.

·
Registered
744 Posts
in that case, the next time you are up i would spray again. I would also lime at that time as well. No need to till the lime in at that time. The lime isn't going to go anywhere but down into the soil if you get a rain between liming and tilling. If no rain, the lime will still be there for when you are ready to till the ground. I would still plant when you till in August. I would not wait to plant in September.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, IMO you can spray in one day and lime the next. yes, IMO the lime can sit on top until you rototill or disc, etc.
For first time plots (or rejuvenating 10 year old clover plots) I spray 2+ times. so, so many seeds in that soil.

Long drives to camp are tough. I did a long (4.25 hour) drive to camp for 20 years until I decided to move closer in 2005. Now I wish I had moved a lot sooner.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agree with EVERYONE above. Planting brassicas in September you will get some growth but not much and no turnip bulbs will have time to form. Farmers by me always say plant turnips last week of July.

Only thing I typically plant in September is winter rye & wheat which you can also use for a nurse crop for the clover but it won't be a nice clover plot until next year.

Tilling the lime in will get it to work faster but killing the weeds is primary especially with 5' tall growth.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Last year I actually did mine in late July only due to convenience. I'm in the landscaping business and was the only time I was going to have time to take my crew and equipment over to camp. It came in great and was very good for rifle season.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Bag planting dates cover a wide range of geographic area. They aren't specific to a single location. You have to find your "perfect" planting date. Seed mixes with such a wide variety of plants have no one perfect plating date. The turnips should be in the ground before the oats (cereal grains). Aug 1 for turnips, September 1 for oats in your area. Unfortunately it's hard to plant them correctly in that order.
Brush hogging five foot tall weeds, then spraying probably means the spray wasn't very effective. Gly works by being absorbed by the foliage. After brushogging there isn't much foliage, just stems. In our area there has been very limited precipitation, so re-growth may be limited.
My recommendation is to bring the tiller in August and skip the other steps. As always, apply lime as soon as possible, preferably before tilling. Lime only impacts the soil it comes in contact with. Tilling after application gets the lime to the root zone.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like a new plot, I'd wait 2 weeks after I limed/tilled and then spray the emergent veg again. Everytime you till, you bring lots of viable seeds to the surface.

Everything you're planting are small seeds so you can just broadcast, drag and pack..

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all, soil test had come back good except for lime. I will have my buddy read these post and let him decide how to proceed. This was last years clover patch which did well but not sprayed so the grasses took off this year.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Re-reading your original post, it doesn't appear that you are trying to establish a perennial clover plot. The mix probably includes a small percentage of clover which may give you something instead of bare dirt next spring. Your other seeds are annuals and will compete well with most weed seeds during August. If you have PH above 6 and adequate moisture your seeds will do just fine. Till in the lime (and fertilizer) in the early August timeframe, spread the seed, and pray for rain.
If you truly don't need the fertilizer, a shot of high nitrogen fertilizer Sept 1 (if a rain is forecast) would give your plants a boost.

So I'm the outlier in regards to the need to spray again. The tilling is going to give you the seedbed you need at the time you need to plant. Eliminating weeds for an annual planting isn't worth the delay in getting the seeds in the ground. You will be costing yourself a month of growth to reduce weed content for a group of plants that will compete favorably with the weeds likely to germinate in August. That's the main reason I see no need to spray. If you were planting clover with a nurse crop of cereal grains my advice would be consistent with the others.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice Home. I will see whether or not the need for spraying when we go this weekend. One issue we had last year was the green grass was choking up the tiller and I figured by spraying a few times it would lessen the fibrous mass and let the tiller work better.
Thanks again for all the used tree tubes you gave us a few years ago, have used all of them mostly for the chestnuts we planted in the spring as well as protecting some of the existing crab apples. All are surviving well.
Before cutting;

After cutting;

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A second mowing to cut it all to 6 inches or less, then till. If it's cut short and mulched in the process it'll till just fine. Brushhog perpendicular to the way you hogged it the first time.
Otherwise the grass pushed over by the tires the first mowing tends to happen again so it never gets cut. Good luck and I'm happy the tubes are being put to goood use.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went to camp Friday thru Sunday. The plot I sprayed several weeks ago was brown and 90% dead. There was some green but not much and even under the clippings it killed off the grasses. Lack of rain probably helped as well. We cut again to chop spoils finer and expose the green plants then sprayed again. Going back 2nd week of August to till and plant a wildlife institute mix of brassica, rape, kale, clover and whatever else is in it. Lets hope we start getting some rain soon.

Plot we had to clear of autumn olive last year in may

After 2 days this was the result, 1/2 acre plot

Then tilled and seed with clover. Just wanted to get rid of some grasses and plant a cover . No weed spray, no lime or fertilizer. This was last year in may

Decent clover crop along with smart weed and other stuff I don't know grew all last summerand fall.

Went to camp for a week over this past July 4th week and grasses were 5'tall. Cut and sprayed.

Last weekend this was the result of spraying July 4

Just a little bit of green and no growth.

Cut and sprayed once more . Ready for August planting. now pray for rain

When we bought the property 6 years ago the autumn olive was sparse, 2 foot hi. We drove thru this field to our campsite (before camper and driveway). Now you can hardly walk thru this stuff. But the deer love it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.