The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Light mist this morning on public ground. The plan was to get on a bird as soon as it gobbled (if it gobbled). I was halfway up the mountain when I heard the first gobble...way back down at the bottom. Wasting no time I hustled in that direction, covering 200 yards pretty quick and stopped to listen. Gobbled again...Jake. Son of a gun. Heard a big bird further down the mountain but it sounded like he was on private property. I was going to walk away from the jake, but figured, might as well work him and see what happens. The other bird was on the way out and he never gobbles more than two or three times and shuts up.

I pulled out my Lee Bowles slate and gave a couple low volume cuts and a yelp and he responded. Gobbled a couple more times on his own. This was not only a jake, but a late born one at that...he had a pitiful gobble, lol.

I was within 100 yards and hadn't even put on my gloves or headnet yet, so I suited up and picked a good set and decided to have some fun. Popped in a Raspy D diaphragm and clucked and purred...GOOOBBBLLEOOOBBBBLLLLE...THAT'S no jake. Purr, cluck. purr, cluck...GOOOBBBLLLEOOBBLLE ...he's coming. Pretty soon I see him coming through the open woods. My first thought is "jake". He had a red head, no white and he didn't look all that big. Since he was coming right at me I couldn't see a beard but when he bent over to peck something I thought I saw one swinging. Then he turned broadside and I see the rope. Waited 'til he got to about 25 yards and ended my season. At the shot, three jakes gobbled just over the rise, lol.

19 lbs, 10 1/2" beard, 1 1/4" spurs

Can't wait 'til next week when my youngest son is on second shift and we can hunt every morning and I don't have to lug around the 870.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a big public area and there had been between 15 and twenty trucks "around the horn" the whole first week. Drove around on my way out at 7:00 and saw only one other vehicle.

·
Premium Member
24,121 Posts
Nice bird congrats

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!! That's two awesome birds for you this season!!!

Turkey season is odd...its long...but pressure seems to die down quickly...I don't know why that is...I guess judging by yearly HPA posts most guys think they are done and can't be killed beyond the first couple days lol..

·
Registered
729 Posts
Congrats on the great season!

mauser06 said:
...HPA posts most guys think they are done and can't be killed beyond the first couple days lol..
I guess if it doesn't as scripted just like on the Outdoor Channel, then it must be the weather, the hens, other hunters, the sun, the moon, the predators,...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PA boxcall said:
Congrats on the great season!

mauser06 said:
...HPA posts most guys think they are done and can't be killed beyond the first couple days lol..
I guess if it doesn't as scripted just like on the Outdoor Channel, then it must be the weather, the hens, other hunters, the sun, the moon, the predators,...
One thing I can say is I love to work a bird up with aggressive calling and finish him with soft stuff. Ever since that first week cold front, the birds don't want anything to do with anything too aggressive. Purring and clucking all the way seems to be the ticket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts