The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after reading all the posts and recipes, I decided to dig some leeks for the first time this year. I found a great spot last year, so getting them shouldn't be a problem. My question is, how do you guys prepare them? After I get a bucket full home and rinse the dirt off, what's next? I'm gonna make some dip and take into work, so I need to know how to clean them; what gets discarded, what gets saved to work with?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
wash, cut off little roots at the bottom, and the tops and use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i pickle a ton of them. very easy and very good. look on google i'm not sure of the page but it is all about wild ramps. i canned 50 quarts. everyone wants them. also tansplanted a bunch and they are up. enjoy!

·
Registered
19,942 Posts
Last weekend at camp we dug under a couple inches of snow and leaves and found some leeks. Fried them up whole, shoots and all, and put them on the first charcoal grilled burgers of the year. Heaven!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
save the greens to. i cut em up and use them for tossed salad.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I eat the whole thing, fried them in a skillet with some deer steaks the other day, they were great. I also chopped some up real fine and mixed them in ground venison and made burgers on the grill. I don't think there's a bad way to make them.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I was in Potter County on Tuesday and the ground was covered with them. They are really growing thick. I had some in my ham sandwich. Pretty tasty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts