The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with an old .45 CVA Kentucky flintlock and I've noticed that the hammer has some "play" in it. What I mean is when it's at full-cock I can actually pull it back another 1/8". Is this normal on these or should I be looking at replacing the sear? The hammer doesn't always drop with enough force to move the frizzen forward so I was initially thinking of changing the mainspring but then noticed the slop in the hammer. Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Could be a number of things. But, I would start by smothing out the cam surfaces of the frizen and spring where they contact. Also take off that frizen and make sure there is no rust or grit on the pivot hole. That play in the hammes should not be an issue.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my t/c will do that. as for the weak hammer, break down the lock and spray the heck out of it with brakefree. might be all corroded up.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Took it apart & polished the cam area on the frizzen & spring. That helped a bit. Still seems to have a weak hammer even though everything's been cleaned up. I keep looking at the sear though. If I pull the hammer back all the way & measure from the front of the sear to the inside of the notch on the tumbler I get a gap of about .10-.11. And if I hold the hammer back all the way and let it go with the trigger squeezed it will move the frizzen forward & generate a lot more sparks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts