The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I've had some for over 5 years & no problem. I think I read that it's similar to blackpowder...unlimited shelf life if maintained in a cool dry environment. Be a good question to fwd to BH company. I know 777 starts to lose potency after a few years.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I know water is no-no when using Blackhorn 209.

What is your preferred cleaning product?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
At range and field for quick swab....Windex w/Vinegar works great(has no ammonia). Storage....same solvents as used on smokreless powder(Hoppes etc).

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Water makes it turn to a tar like mess which is hard to clean up.
Probably why Windex works good. Back when I shot 777 I also used Windex w/Vinegar for between full cleanings such as at the range & in field.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've had some for over 5 years & no problem. I think I read that it's similar to blackpowder...unlimited shelf life if maintained in a cool dry environment. Be a good question to fwd to BH company. I know 777 starts to lose potency after a few years.
Loggy, are you in need of any Blackhorn? I recall from a couple threads here that you aren't that far from me. I came across some on clearance for $15 jug and have no use for it as I only shoot flintlocks. I'd like to see it get a good home.😇
Pm me and I'll let you know where it is if you're interested.

Marc

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Thanks much Marc...appreciate the offer!! Im well stocked but mebbie someone else in the area could use?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
been using original Windex for all my ML's for about 30 years and now use it for my BPCR's. it also works real well to run a damp patch thru the barrel between shots with the 40-70, 32-40 and the 25-20. good stuff!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts