The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You's houndsmens with your short bow legged, floppy long eared dogs chasing white bunnies in three foot of white powder just crack me up. (I think maybe you're all just snorting too much of that white powdery stuff). Now whatcha needs to do is get yo'self some nice long leg'd setters to point some dem little white bastages wheres they sit'n. Thens ya just walks up and kicks dem in da butts and shoosts dem when dey runs away.

Note: All Snowshoe-ed Haresies and Ruffled Grousies shown in these pics were harvested on 29-DEC-2012 in a Pennslylvania county open to the legal hunting of both species.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ha ha. The way you shot those hares would be akin to me dusting one of your precious grouse sitting on a log.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lawdog said:
Ha ha. The way you shot those hares would be akin to me dusting one of your precious grouse sitting on a log.
I figure setter pointed hare are equivalent to beagle flushed grouse. Dogs gotta do what they're bred to do, and hunters hafta make'em happy.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
dap said:
lawdog said:
I figure setter pointed hare are equivalent to beagle flushed grouse. Dogs gotta do what they're bred to do, and hunters hafta make'em happy.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rabbit Runner said:
Oh yah

Take a look at this here "beagle"
65lbs of harehoubd

LOL Good stuff

John L
Dat sure 'nuff iz one big "Harehoubd". But I don't sees no snow. What is you doing? Hunting some dem white Flemish Giant bunnies on a preserve in Georgia?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Looks like a beagle on steroids Joe
Swiss hounds have long ears and look like a bloodhound almost but thinner. ...I know a guy from Leb. co. that had a yellow Lab he used to hunt hare with . He would station a hunter out in front of the dog about 100 yds or so. and let the the dog work the cover. he said when the lab got real close to the hare he would bark maybe once.
They shot a few using that technique. Maybe I should switch to labs..?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Joe Kaschak said:
Would that be a swiss hound?? never seen one, so I'm just askin'
No Joe she is just a running walker that has a "thing" for bunnies.
This was on our thanks. week hunt in Maine and she did good.

John L

·
Banned
313 Posts
Rabbit Runner said:
No Joe she is just a running walker that has a "thing" for bunnies.
This was on our thanks. week hunt in Maine and she did good.

John L
I have a running walker female that looks identical to that dog that I used to hunt coyotes with. I basically retired from that sport for awhile, and I was thinking about trying to teach her to run rabbits, but it might be hard to break her from coyotes, cats and fox. She is a tiny running walker which should work even better prob only about 45-50 pounds, but still tall.She just turned four so I think there is still hope. I took her to the beagle club a few times to run fox and if the beagles were there she showed about zero interest in a rabbit, but we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Country Nate said:
That little rodent sure tasted good.
For the uninformed, Country Nate was the Stone-cold Killer that shot the grouse (and nearly a double), walked 10 yards and shot the little white rodent pictured above.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
dap said:
Country Nate said:
For the uninformed, Country Nate was the Stone-cold Killer that shot the grouse (and nearly a double), walked 10 yards and shot the little white rodent pictured above.
I've got a double off a log before...easy as pie!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
dap said:
Country Nate said:
This isn't horse shoes, I missed a relatively easy shot on the 2nd bird.

57 sure sounds good tomorrow after the weather we've had over the last three weeks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts