The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Good time to be hunting scrapes close to a bedding area, plenty of big deer on the move. The buck my son killed in Ohio was really aggressive, just tearing the woods up and you could hear him a long way off. He had a 23 inch swelled neck and these bucks are establishing dominance right now. Never a bad day to be in the woods this time of year.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
Just pulled camera cards for the week. Few daytime buck pics but new scrapes popping up everywhere in the woods, ot just feild edges

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
About a dozen new rubs since last week, and scrapes popping up at the usual locale

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
New rubs still showing up, nothing major around the known bedding areas I hunt. No scrapes found in my last two hunts.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I hunted a spot in Ohio this morning that usually has some acorns and didn't see many. On the walk out I probably saw twenty fresh scraps and could smell the deer.

·
Administrator
14,436 Posts
A few rubs are starting to show nothing else.

White oak acorns are decent on part of the property and so are the red oak acorns.

·
Registered
670 Posts
a buddy of mine saw a small buck chasing this past weekend. I'd say we're still a week or so out for daylight movement to begin.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Got this pic two days ago. Jr works midnights in Crawford Co. Said last night the bucks were running wild. They removed 5 dead deer from sr79
08C20573-C54A-43A3-928A-58A490A68FD3.png

·
Super Moderator
12,911 Posts
Same here 5,7 and small 8's working the scrapes during the day.....Bigger bucks at night as usual....

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
2 nites in a row iv'e see a 3 year old cruising. Both at 6 PM. Weather was about perfect both mon and tie evenings, I'd expect little activity the next couple days thpugh.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I'm amazed at how many big mature bucks are being killed in this early season. Seems like every day someone I know sends me a picture of a big buck they killed.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hunted tonite and nothing.
Checked cams and more bucks popping up. A decent 2.5 chasing a doe on Friday night and a pretty nice 3.5 yr old buck on Sat at 6Pm out in the field. Only have two pics over 3 monthes of the older buck. Would say end of the week and next week should be good for calling.
Hoping to tag out by next weekend before daylight saving time and the start of the rut only hunters.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Brother hunted Ohio over the weekend. Said he grunted a real nice 8 to 20 yards. Said the buck grunted the whole way in.

·
Registered
13,670 Posts
Years ago I had a big 8 chasing and grunting with every step on oct 17. I remember it well cus that's my birthday. That's the earliest iv'e ever seen actual rutting activity, my brother shot him a couple days later.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Big boys will come out to play in November. If anyone is holding out for a giant I’d set tight and take advantage of the second week of November. That’s when the chaos truly begins.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Big boys will come out to play in November. If anyone is holding out for a giant I’d set tight and take advantage of the second week of November. That’s when the chaos truly begins.
I like the 2nd week of November also.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts