The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Angels among us

Seeing the “Spirit of the Hunt” section, I decided to share an experience. Me, (a little background) being in Boy Scouting for many years, 5 of which I was the Scout Master for a local troop. So needless to say, I spent more time in the forests than in my home. – Very enjoyable times – never to be forgotten.

Several years ago, I decided to spend a few extra vacation days and do some “doe” hunting – back when we had 2 and 3 day seasons. All friends or family had to work or go to school, so off I went alone – always to be discouraged to do so by my loving wife. But I always and still do have the confidence to go a field alone.

Here’s what happened … it was a long winter’s day on a mountaintop along the Clarion River – one of my favorite places since I was a kid. I was perched on a high rock that yielded easy viewing in all directions most of the day. Good spot but no deer so far. Towards the last couple hours of daylight, I decided to check out a couple other favorite sites that were high above the laurel.

On my way, it started to get dark early and the snow hit, large snowflakes so huge it made visibility almost impossible. The snow lasted for about a half hour and cleared up. I thought this was perfect for the last day of doe season. I found a nice rock, not a familiar one, but it sufficed to see above the laurel.

Close to 4:15, it was starting to get dark, a noticed a hunter approaching me. Not even carrying a firearm. I thought great! The last few minutes of the season and this guy, probably a Game Warden, wants to chat. After a couple kind words from the fella – “have you been out all day? Seen any? Etc.” By that time I figured I had better make my way back down the mountain to my truck along the Clarion.

The fellow was quick to point out the Clarion and route 949 was 180 degrees opposite the direction I pointed. I questioned, are you sure, because it was getting dark fairly quick. He replied “yep, I’m an old timer here in these woods and the clarion is over wonder”. I went to check my compass, great; it was still in my scout backpack from the previous week’s camp.

Having my doubts of his directions, I scanned the mountain top again and turned to tell the fella I think he’s wrong. He was gone. I climbed back up the rock and he was not to be seen anywhere in the laurel. I wanted to say thanks.

After on the ground I decided to turn about, taking the old timers advice, and head for the river. After trekking 10 minutes of uncertainty, I found familiar landmarks to take me over the mountain down to my truck along the Clarion. That half hour snow storm really turned me around.

Still chokes me up and gives me watery eyes …. So yes! Angels are among us!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I am a person who does NOT Believe in the Tooth Fairy, Big Foot, the Snow Monster, Nessy or Aliens from Mars or some other distant planet(and better throw it in here... Wild Mtn. Lions in Pa!) BUT I do believe in Angels and Demons... Demons to Wreck Havic on all of us anytime they choose in any way they choose...

Angels, To stand beside us and Guide us when we need it! (an old Amy Grant Song comes to mind of that I posted..."Angels Watching over Me, Every Step I Take")

GREAT Post!

Was the Old Timer, your Angel that watches over you....you nor I nor anyone else will ever know...BUT, it is so nice that you can hold the feeling that he IS and he is always there to help you!

·
Registered
28,492 Posts
I love stories like that...that was a great post.

There was a thread not too long ago that was full of folks sharing instances like that, one of the best threads in a long time.

i have never "seen" or encountered anyone like the old man you mentioned but I sure have had prayers answered in the woods and moments when I just knew I was not alone .

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
RoosterBooster said:
I love stories like that...that was a great post.

There was a thread not too long ago that was full of folks sharing instances like that, one of the best threads in a long time.

i have never "seen" or encountered anyone like the old man you mentioned but I sure have had prayers answered in the woods and moments when I just knew I was not alone .
are you refering to the haunted hunting camp post? that started off being a "scary" one but alot of it ended up being like these "angel" stories. very good post by the way!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Yep...they are always overlooking us even if the outcome doesn't always meet our Earthly expectations. Yours is one occurence where where the outcome did!!

Good post & thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Back in the 80's I was on my way to do some late season flintlocking in Pike Co. I was driving rt 402 through the Delaware State Forest in the wee hours. It started to snow and the roads quickly got slippery. I was young, stupid and going too fast wanting to get to my spot before daylight. The back end of my PU start fishtailing and I steered to correct. That got me fishtailing the other way. I corrected again.....Now I'm all over the road. I finally decided to just let go of the wheel and let nature take its course. I ended up doing a 360(s) and sliding backward into a huge pillowy snowbank, After regaining my wits I carefully pulled back on the road and went on my way without stopping to see how much damage I had done to my truck. Got to my parking spot and gave the truck a quick once over. I couldn't find a mark on it. Driving home that afternoon I couldn't find anyplace that had a snowdrift or geography similar to what I remembered plowing into the night before. Someone watching over me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts