The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine the Allegheny National Forest, like other Federal parks, forests and facilities will be closed to public use until the shut down is resolved. I haven't been in there this week, anyone been up there...have they put up signs yet?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just like the Grand Canyon that's been a hole in the ground for 10 million years, the ANF is suddenly 'CLOSED'....

·
Registered
545 Posts
I suspect that there may be issues with obtaining some services re the national forests but ...closed?

·
Registered
104 Posts
How can you close a forest. I would imagine the camp grounds and actual parks would be If they are federally run. State parks should be open since the shutdown is at the federal level.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Allegheny National Forest & Kinzua Sky Walk
News Alert – ANF Is Open To Visitors
The trees are decked out in full fall colors – and our doors are open!

The federal government shut down does not close the cabins, campgrounds, or the trail system within the Allegheny National Forest.

For additional information alleghenysite.com

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Well, they have closed down the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. The lighthouses are closed. The guarded beaches are closed. The ramps to drive onto the beach are closed. The campgrounds are closed. They have even posted signs that you are not allowed to park on the shoulders of Rte 12 and walk onto the beach. Can't surf fish from the beaches. Reports from friends in the area indicate that NPS is trying to shut the beaches down in the towns of Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Buxton, Frisco and Hatteras as they are technically part of the National Park, and not property of the towns.

So, yes. I could see a scenario where they would try to shut down the ANF is it's entirety. Glad to see they are not using such draconian actions up North.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My friend runs allegheny site management and he runs all the campgrounds in the ANF and takes care of most boat launches. This is the news he had to put out today.........We were just given 48 hours to evict everyone and close all gates. Timeframe is unknown at this time. For all I know they will have this resolved this in 48hrs. Sorry..

So yes the ANF is feeling the effects of it as well...The woods are still wide open though just some access points may be limited.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, well I was at the Kellettville campground this afternoon and a US Forest Ranger was locking the gate and there was a sign there that said 'campground closed until further notice'. I asked him if the closed sign was because of the shutdown and he said it was.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
OK.

If it is shutdown, who is going to be there to throw you out?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
All federal law enforcement are still reporting to work, there just not getting a pay check for going...... Ask me how I know....

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
What about the pheasant stocking at federally controlled lands? Currently Tioga-Hammond is shutdown and all of the access points are locked up. Will the game commission still stock?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I heard there was a guy that got a $100 fine for taking a jog at Valley Forge National Park...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
yea , now hes all over the news claiming the government is violating his rights.

heres a hint...
the federal wardens patrolling are doing so without getting a pay check.

they are P!zzed off enough already without having to chase people off closed lands.
and if you think arguing with them about your rights will help your cause you get what you deserve.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
From a thread in the General Hunting Forum:

Just saw this on the PGC news release page and copied the last few paragraphs...

Federal lands that are closed won’t reopen until the shutdown ends, or an agreement otherwise is reached to open the lands to the public. And while the lands are closed, those violating the order to keep out could face federal charges.

Additionally, any game harvested on closed lands would be considered illegally taken and subject to seizure.

Those seeking alternate public-hunting opportunities can visit the Game Commission’s website, www.pgc.state.pa.us. The State Game Lands Mapping Center, which can be accessed through the site’s homepage, offers detailed maps of game lands and other tracts that are open to public hunting.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Youth pheasant supposed to open this weekend includes a LOT of federal lands. I guess they'll be tossing those birds elsewhere? I'm glad I'm not mentoring this year. What a friggin headache.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Okay, instead of conjecture and guessing, I called my buddy, who is a Law Enforcement Ranger for the Forestry. The only thing in the ANF that is closed are developed areas and government facilities. By that he explained any camp site (by that he means sites maintained by the forestry with the picnic table, fire ring, etc as they are considered government facilities), Government buildings or developed recreation areas (overlooks, scenic areas, etc). He says areas off limits will be posted with a closed sign and entry is prohibited. The forest is not closed, as it would be completely impossible to post the entire National Forest system and enforce the posting. Its perfectly legal to enter the ANF and hunt, fish, hike and even dispersement camp. He said forest service roads that are usually opened should still be open unless they lead to a developed area. This is for the ANF. Corps of Engineer lands like around the Shenango Dam may have different rules. Parks and other developed areas also have different regulations.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts