The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A surreal scene broke out in Indianapolis tonight, with Colts fans booing Andrew Luck as the news broke that he is retiring, just as the Colts wrapped up a preseason game.

Luck did not play in the game but was on the sideline chatting with teammates as his retirement spread through social media — and through the stands.

Fans appeared to be in disbelief, and some fans wearing Luck jerseys demonstrably took them off.

As Luck walked through the tunnel to the Colts’ locker room after the game, loud boos could be heard in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Luck has been a popular figure in Indianapolis since the day he was drafted as the heir apparent to Peyton Manning, but many fans are stunned and will no doubt feel that they’ve been abandoned by the player they pinned their hopes on.

Eventually, Luck will surely be welcomed back to Indianapolis and cheered by the fans. But at the moment, plenty of folks in Indianapolis are expressing their displeasure with his decision.

Imagine that, those nice people from the mid west booing Andrew Luck. I didn’t think that stuff happened in Indiana.

So, this brings to mind a question........ Will the sports announcers be talking about this every chance they get for the next 50 years?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I can't fault Luck for his decision. He was honest to himself and to the organization. Had he attempted to move forward without his heart in it, he would not help the team.

IMHO with the disclosures of CTE, and the effects of multiple concussions on the human body, young athletes will be choosing alternative sports at the professional level to play. I believe the growth of soccer and an increasing shift to pro baseball will consume the athletes.....and consume the fan base as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Sounds like Andrew Luck made a tough personal discussion using the basis of his health/injuries and what he thought was best for his future. It sounds he did not have the strong drive to go on to lead his team this year or future years. Therefore I would assume he would not be at his best risking defeat for the Colts and his city.

On the other hand his timing was horrible for his legacy, fans, his city, the NFL and last but not least the Vegas odds makers.

·
Registered
39,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The timing couldn’t have been worse for the fantasy football crowd who had their draft prior to Luck’s retirement announcement. Tough luck for the teams who drafted him. Yes, that was a pun. :lol:

Luck has made something like 97 million in his career. He is a Stanford Grad. Suffice it to say, he won’t be unemployed for very long unless that’s what he wants. Look for him to surface as a NFL analyst. Or............this might be a long shot but if he sits for a year and gets healthy, he could be back in a Colts uniform in 2020.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Sounds to me like the guy made his decision based upon what he felt was best for his future and his family, sounds logical to me. It also sounds like some of those fans need to get a life, it's a game for crying out loud, he doesn't owe them anything.

Well said Wingshot!

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Was kind of crappie for the press to announce his intention to retire before he got an opportunity.
Colts did good by him by not fining him or taking back his bonus for being on the team in April.
His body knows more than anyone booing him for wanting to still know who he is and walk by the time he is 40.
Only way I will be mad he left right before the season started is if they bring in Kaepernick in to fill the void.
News said the season ticket holders are demanding refunds since they got duped when their new head coach stayed in New England and now going with a untested QB.

Good Luck, enjoy the rest of your life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts