The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
I barely tapped one once about 20 years ago with the front of my car. Since then I have had about 5 run into the side of my car like what you had. It always seems to be about $500 so my insurance doesn't cover it, that's my deductible.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
I’ve took a lot of hard hits from deer. Never had any that put the vehicle out of commission. Before I retired, I drove about 40,000 miles a year in a company truck ( always Chevy 2500s ), mostly driving in Butler, Armstrong, and Indiana Counties. Probably some of the highest deer densities in Pa. I would leave the house at 4 am, and I was dodging deer daily. In the 20 years I had a company truck, I had 14 confirmed kills, and probably double as many hits that kept on moving. Twice I hit two deer in separate incidences in the same day. I had two hits on I 80, both while traveling 65-70 mph. I hit one deer two days after I got a new truck, probably three with trucks with less than 10,000 miles.

The 2500s sat high enough that I never busted a radiator....many of the deer killed got knocked down and went under the truck. My buddies said I should have stenciled dead deer on the drivers door, like a fighter pilot does with planes they shot down.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Pahack, get the estimate yet?
My mom had a hit similar to that in her Lincoln Continental. Got the passenger side mirror and door....think that was $3500.

rogersb, why you do carry such a high deductible on Comprehensive? Most people I know carry $100 for that. Coverage cost is VERY minimal difference between the $100 and $500 deductible, at least for me....and almost everyone I know.

·
Super Moderator
4,880 Posts
Well, my Chevy 2500 claimed another one this morning. Well, actually it was my boat trailer. My buddy and I were near Al’s Melons stand near Conneaut Lake at 5:30 am when a deer shot across the road. I missed it with the truck but in ran into the Lund on the trailer behind me. It did a couple of flips and landed on the edge of the road. Nothing damaged other than a side marker light on the trailer....had deer crap and hair plastered over ten feet of boat.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, my Chevy 2500 claimed another one this morning. Well, actually it was my boat trailer. My buddy and I were near Al’s Melons stand near Conneaut Lake at 5:30 am when a deer shot across the road. I missed it with the truck but in ran into the Lund on the trailer behind me. It did a couple of flips and landed on the edge of the road. Nothing damaged other than a side marker light on the trailer....had deer crap and hair plastered over ten feet of boat.
I’m keeping my mouth shut! :grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pahack, get the estimate yet?
My mom had a hit similar to that in her Lincoln Continental. Got the passenger side mirror and door....think that was $3500.

rogersb, why you do carry such a high deductible on Comprehensive? Most people I know carry $100 for that. Coverage cost is VERY minimal difference between the $100 and $500 deductible, at least for me....and almost everyone I know.
New front QTR panel, New Drivers Door with all my power equipment inside, and new back door.... they said about 5500. When I hit one with my Tundra, it was 5900 in 2012. Thank god its only 100 out of my pocket!

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
That sounds a little scary, but lets not lose track of what is important...how was the fishing?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Last June while driving home from my prairie dog hunt I hit two does standing broadside at 75mph in my Ram on Rt.80 and than ran over at least one of them. I was able to drive 400 miles back home and had about $3400 in damage.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I’ve had an issue with bicycles running into my truck lately. Last year I was at a stop sign and was rear ended by a guy on a bike, he literally ended up in the bed of my truck lol. Ruined his bike so I gave him a ride home. This morning I was pulling up to an intersection and was t-boned by a guy who riding his bike on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve had an issue with bicycles running into my truck lately. Last year I was at a stop sign and was rear ended by a guy on a bike, he literally ended up in the bed of my truck lol. Ruined his bike so I gave him a ride home. This morning I was pulling up to an intersection and was t-boned by a guy who riding his bike on the sidewalk.

WOW.... that's nuts! In my area bikers (peddlers) like to ride our narrow country roads..... so dangerous...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts