The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He died. 7:35am. 20.5 lbs, 1 1/8 in spurs. 10 inch beard. He was silent on the roost this morning. Very foggy here. I waited til about 6:20 and let out a series of soft yelps. He fired back. I got set up and waited. Nothing. A gobble 10 minutes later farther out the valley. I hightailed to get in front of him on the logging road as this logging road makes a U around a ridge. I was on the bottom side of the logging road as he has been crossing it and going down we're they had logged last year. Boom, gobble above me maybe 75 yards. I decide to get out a little ahead and set up just off the logging road thinking he was going to cross soon. Set up, soft purrs, a few soft clucks and shut up. Nothing. 10 minutes later he gobbles out ahead of me still on the side of the ridge between the U shaped logging road. I decide to back around and approach from the top road and get above him. Hightailed around get on top and he gobbles out in front of me in a bend in the road maybe 60 yards. I immediately plop down off the road against a big oak. He gobbles again. I can tell he is on the road now right around the bend. I give two purrs and wait. 5 minutes later ( which seemed like an hour) I see him turning the corner. He looked for his lady and when he didn't see her on that road he wasn't gonna stick around. 47 yards. Boom, the 1300 roared and he crumbled. I have never felt the way I did at that moment. He was a smart old bird that I have no doubt played this game in years past and I am proud to have my tag on him. I still have my second tag but in all honesty I was so dedicated to killing this bird I don't know if I'm going to go back out. I'm completely drained.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congrats!...using you play by play description--its funny when I read someone else's story how I put myself there but with woods I hunt and am familiar with!!! Glad it happened for you!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
LOL! Congrats!!

·
Premium Member
24,179 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
browninggold said:
Congrats!...using you play by play description--its funny when I read someone else's story how I put myself there but with woods I hunt and am familiar with!!! Glad it happened for you!
I do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So much for not going back out to try to fill my second tag. Had to run to town to the hardware. 2 nice big puffballs out in the fresh turned field right up the road. I'll be on them in the morning!

·
Super Moderator
1,748 Posts
Awesome!!! I could tell by the title of your post you dusted him. Congratulations. In your story you mentioned a lot of tactical moves and knowledge of the terrain and habits of the gobbler, this is what it takes to kill those types of birds. There is no doubt he has been there awhile and a very worthy adversary.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Glad to see you finally caught up with him. You can certainly be proud of that one.

Like Fullfan said the other day, if I run into a bird that doggone stubborn, I go find another one that'll play. Maybe one of these days, I'll try to tackle a bird like that.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Congratulations! You definitely earned that bird!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Awesome!!!

Congrats!!!!

That's one of the best moments as a hunter...and almost bitter sweet...

When I tagged "the boss" last season it was a flood of emotions and feelings..i hunted that bird countless times..sundays and days i didnt have time to hung consisted of trail cameras..scouting and glassing..i knew his gobble..i knew "who I was talking to". I knew his beard and his spurs..

When I shot him I wasn't 100% sure...i knew he was gobbling all morning..but knew he had buddies...when I got to him and saw the spurs no question about it..it was him.

You can learn a lot about turkey huntin and setups and tactics and talking turkey hunting a bird like that...but can't be frustrating and them ole limb hangers been around the woods a while and have their own tricks...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts