The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got two ideas for reg changes in the seasons we currently have.

Idea #1. Would it be all that bad to pull in-line out of the archery season and give it a dedicated two week season to take place when archery ends and when gun season begins? This would extend the in-line season, be it's own dedicated season, and have it take place during the rut. Not only would this be a benefit to the hunters but I'm sure the PGC would see increased revenues as more people would purchase muzzleloader tags to hunt that season. Plus they may be able to get more for the tags too (Heck, I'd pay more to hunt in-line for two weeks during the rut). Plus there would be the ripple effect of a local economic boost to local gun shops to sell more in-line gear.

Idea #2. Also would it be such a bad idea to have an extended doe only gun season from when gun season traditionally ends to when flintlock season begins and to have this as a separate optional tag to purchase? That would basically double the current season from two weeks to fours weeks. This also benefit the PGC by providing an additional revenue for the PGC in selling an extended two week doe season tag.

Plus bth items would also spark additonal revenues to the PGC for the non-resident tags sold to those that come to PA for Thanksgiving and Christmas and now can hunt durng these times.

Just a though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
the biggest reason i dont like the season change one is because it will put too much stress on an already stressful time for the deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
I would be ok for the extended doe (gun) only season. If we can stop hunting them during the two week gun season or atleast the first week.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beagler,
To what you're saying is you would rather have a large pizza cut into (8) slices than (12) because you can't eat (12). Either way it's still a large pizza. Extending the season only allow hunters more time in the woods. It's doesn't issue more doe tags to your WMU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,561 Posts
monroe28 said:
Very few deer??? Wow.
Stop up on the local mountains (Jessup, Archbald, Carbondale, Eynon, etc.) in the winter and try and find a deer track. My group killed more bear last year than deer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jayson,
There's not more or less pressure on the deer by extending the season by two weeks. To the deer it's winter and that comes with all of the pressure deer face; food, hunting, etc. Deer don't have calendars and see when gun season ends and saw, "Phew...that God that's over. Now we get a two week breather before flintlock." To that may I reference the VA hunting regs. They have a continual deer season from September to January and in some areas to February. No issues there with pressure on the deer. In fact it's the opposite. This past year they gave hunters more deer tags than ever wiht their standard licenses. So extending the gun season by an additonal (2) weeks (muzzleloader or gun season) won't cause undue harm to the deer.

And to the note of hunting pressure, if you allow the um-teen million hunters in PA to hunt over a 4 week period vs. a 2 week period that would load balance the density of hunters in the woods over both given times. Therfore you would effective have less hunter/day over the 4 week time than the 2 week time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,561 Posts
KCROE said:
Extending the season only allow hunters more time in the woods. It's doesn't issue more doe tags to your WMU.
More time in the woods means more deer killed. Cut the doe tags in half at least. It's all about $.
I love pizza by the way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Beagler,
Well that's a completely separte issue alltogether. Maybe some WMU's have too many doe tags issues and maybe some don't have enough. Take that up with the people managing your WMU.

But even if you cut the doe tags to a 1/3rd in your WMU, you could still extend the gun season by an additional two weesk. Again that's like saying you should only cut the large pizza into (4) slices instead of (8) because eating (4) is less than (8). It's a large pizza either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,561 Posts
I still love pizza. Just cut the tags in half.

I still say the more time in the woods = more deer killed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,268 Posts
KCROE said:
Got two ideas for reg changes in the seasons we currently have.

Idea #1. Would it be all that bad to pull in-line out of the archery season and give it a dedicated two week season to take place when archery ends and when gun season begins? This would extend the in-line season, be it's own dedicated season, and have it take place during the rut. Not only would this be a benefit to the hunters but I'm sure the PGC would see increased revenues as more people would purchase muzzleloader tags to hunt that season. Plus they may be able to get more for the tags too (Heck, I'd pay more to hunt in-line for two weeks during the rut). Plus there would be the ripple effect of a local economic boost to local gun shops to sell more in-line gear.

We don’t need or want more bucks harvested during the rut.

The early October muzzleloader season and antler less rifle season for jr., sr, etc. is ONLY to get more does harvested before the rut.


Idea #2. Also would it be such a bad idea to have an extended doe only gun season from when gun season traditionally ends to when flintlock season begins and to have this as a separate optional tag to purchase? That would basically double the current season from two weeks to fours weeks. This also benefit the PGC by providing an additional revenue for the PGC in selling an extended two week doe season tag.

Extending the antler less season beyond the current season would result in more shed antler bucks being harvested. It is already a bit of a concern some years when we have periods of deep snow that cause more bucks to shed earlier then normal.

Plus bth items would also spark additonal revenues to the PGC for the non-resident tags sold to those that come to PA for Thanksgiving and Christmas and now can hunt durng these times.

Just a though....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,449 Posts
beagler said:
KCROE said:
Extending the season only allow hunters more time in the woods. It's doesn't issue more doe tags to your WMU.
More time in the woods means more deer killed. Cut the doe tags in half at least. It's all about $.
I love pizza by the way.

who da thunk?
jk..

why do people want to extend the doe season when there arent anough doe to begin with. must be they think they need more time to kill a a deer since there are less of them and they are harder to find so they they feel that they need more time added to the season.

dont work that way.... um drrr,,,,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not true. And that's because each hunter is limited to the number of deer they are allowed to take and eacch WMU is limited to the number of doe tags that they are allowed to issue. So there is a cap regardless of how much time you spend in the woods.

Extending the season just allows hunters more time to be in the woods so they are not all crammed into a two week time to hunt.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RSB,
Ahh...I see your point on the extended gun season. Why not have a two week in-line doe season then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
Yes there is a cap. But more tags would be able to be filled that normally wouldn't with extended time in the woods
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So then why would the PGC issue that many doe tags if they didn't want them filled to meet their deer management plans?

Quite honestly I don't believe the hype that there's no deer in some WMU's completely. Yes, I'm sure the numbers have fallen off. They needed to. However I think there are more lazy hunters not wanting to go look for deer and/or hunters hunting in areas that no longer hold deer. The days of overpopulated deer in PA, where you can pull up a 5ga compound bucket 50yds from the road to hunt, are over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,915 Posts
KCROE said:
So then why would the PGC issue that many doe tags if they didn't want them filled to meet their deer management plans?
First the PGC plans on probably about half the tags not being filled. Second we are not talking about what the PGC wants. we are talking simple that more deer would be killed and that is true.
KCROE said:
Quite honestly I don't believe the hype that there's no deer in some WMU's completely. Yes, I'm sure the numbers have fallen off. They needed to. However I think there are more lazy hunters not wanting to go look for deer and/or hunters hunting in areas that no longer hold deer. The days of overpopulated deer in PA, where you can pull up a 5ga compound bucket 50yds from the road to hunt, are over.
And I agree. Most of the time I see deer when I'm out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
[
KCROE said:
Quite honestly I don't believe the hype that there's no deer in some WMU's completely. Yes, I'm sure the numbers have fallen off. They needed to. However I think there are more lazy hunters not wanting to go look for deer and/or hunters hunting in areas that no longer hold deer. The days of overpopulated deer in PA, where you can pull up a 5ga compound bucket 50yds from the road to hunt, are over.
Perfectly said.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top