The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody running this in their outboard ??

I'm having doubts about the 50:1 Quicksilver mix I'm running in my Johnson. It's a 1984 VRO motor that has had the VRO tank/pump removed. I mix it 50:1 and the thing smokes 2 or 3 times more than I think it should.

I've been considering leaning the oil mix back some. But I know that Amsoil calls for a 100:1 ratio for 50:1 engines. That should help my problem greatly.

Thoughts ??

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Don't use the regular 2 cycle in an outboard, amsoil makes a specific 2cycle for marine injection motors. I sold 4 gallons to a friend he has the newer Johnson 2stroke, after breaking motor in he put it in, we adjusted the jets to less oil but not 100:1 more like 75:1 purrs like a kitty. Good stuff! He runs a lot , he stays on lake Ontario from may till September/October, boats runs almost every day!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Even though you don't have injection enabled use the marine.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK

I disconnected the VRO pump myself. Didn't trust it.

What mix would you suggest ?? The motor is a 1984 V4 115 hp.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Older engine, try 50:1 if it smokes go to up until the smoking goes away, if smoking at 100:1 check your power head!

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda thinking it's not a powerhead issue since the motor was newly rebuilt 4 years ago. Probably has 50-70 hrs on it since then.

I'm gonna try the Amsoil, I think, and see what happens. I have a 6 gallon reserve tank I can try small batches of different ratios in.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I just put a thread up on another forum for this exact topic and 2 very knowledgable boat mechanics said to stay with what the manufacturer recommends UNLESS your running a modified motor over 6000 RPM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts