The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

241 - 260 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have an issue with it. I liked things when prices were based on a fair market value of what it cost to produce it and then adding a bit more for a fair profit margin to allow a business to expand.

Today is seems everything is priced on how much they can get for it , even if they know they are simply price gouging, instead of a free market value.

I don't like it.

Dick Bodenhorn
Those days are long gone pal!

·
Registered
11,493 Posts
In the past two days I have been able to buy Hornady and Barnes bullets from both Cabela's and Midway that had not been available for months and in one case a Barnes bullet that had not been in stock anywhere for years.

I don't know but I'm hoping things are starting to ease. I see some other signs that the madness is slowing. I am on two other hunting sites that have pretty active classified sections. Normally when components are listed they are gone quickly even at gouging prices. Now it seems the fairly priced items are gone quickly, sometimes in minutes but the high priced items are not selling. Why? It could be that the buyers have all they need or ran out of money. Or maybe buyers have just decided they had enough of the price gouging. We'll have a better handle on it in the months to come.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
In the past two days I have been able to buy Hornady and Barnes bullets from both Cabela's and Midway that had not been available for months and in one case a Barnes bullet that had not been in stock anywhere for years.

I don't know but I'm hoping things are starting to ease. I see some other signs that the madness is slowing. I am on two other hunting sites that have pretty active classified sections. Normally when components are listed they are gone quickly even at gouging prices. Now it seems the fairly priced items are gone quickly, sometimes in minutes but the high priced items are not selling. Why? It could be that the buyers have all they need or ran out of money. Or maybe buyers have just decided they had enough of the price gouging. We'll have a better handle on it in the months to come.
I agree, for the same reasons you list. Much like the run on toilet paper , hand sanitizer or canning lids, people come to the realization that they have what they need and quit buying more. I knew people that bought canning lids late last summer that owned neither a canner or canning jars, and had never canned in their life....but bought lids just because they could.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
"gotgunz?" is Grice Gunshop in Clearfield. I've been shopping there for over 25 years. Guns, reloading equipment and supplies were bought for more dollars than I would care to remember. Would always stop on the way to camp or on the way home. That will change after seeing the above post and the attached email and screenshot from Gunbroker. THEY HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER

Was at Grice a few days ago and specificly asked for small rifle primers. Was told they were sold out and did not have a delivery date for more. Then a search on Gunbroker located "gotgunz?" with four cases of 5000 for $895.00 a case. Just for the **** of it I sent an information request to "gotgunz?" and this is the response I received.
View attachment 166190

View attachment 166191
I will walk arouind Grices and look at stuff, then walk over to Bob's and buy it. Although I havn't bought much at Bobs since Sam, the gun counter manager, left and went to work at Belding & Mull.

A reliable source told me,during the last Ammo shortage , that Grices was sitting on pallets of CC Std-Vel .22's. And only bringing a few bricks out at a time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have an issue with it. I liked things when prices were based on a fair market value of what it cost to produce it and then adding a bit more for a fair profit margin to allow a business to expand.

Today is seems everything is priced on how much they can get for it , even if they know they are simply price gouging, instead of a free market value.

I don't like it.

Dick Bodenhorn
I don't like it either, but that is the Free Market. The Seller is free to set the price and you are free to Not Pay it.
Its better than the Govt setting the prices. I won't hesitate to tell businesses to go copulate with themselves and I will never give them my business again. Enough people do that and either they will get the message or go out of business.

·
Registered
559 Posts
"gotgunz?" is Grice Gunshop in Clearfield. I've been shopping there for over 25 years. Guns, reloading equipment and supplies were bought for more dollars than I would care to remember. Would always stop on the way to camp or on the way home. That will change after seeing the above post and the attached email and screenshot from Gunbroker. THEY HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER

Was at Grice a few days ago and specificly asked for small rifle primers. Was told they were sold out and did not have a delivery date for more. Then a search on Gunbroker located "gotgunz?" with four cases of 5000 for $895.00 a case. Just for the **** of it I sent an information request to "gotgunz?" and this is the response I received.
View attachment 166190

View attachment 166191
They lost me as a customer also. I hope they're reading this.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I know one thing. If I was rich, I'd be setting up an ammo plant, at least for common rounds.
If you can get primers.......

I have seven different calibers of centerfire rifles. The .348 Win is obsolete so that one always an adventure. But its hard to find anything not at exorbitant prices for any common deer caliber. Easiest to find is .308 or 7.62 for my AR-10.

If you want entertainment, google "how much ammo do you need" and peruse the search results.

A work buddy knows a guy sitting on 20,000 rounds of 9mm. He'll never be able to use it all, or burn out a few guns trying.

The arsenals some dudes have stockpiled is really incredible.

Those seven calibers of rifles? Some are inherited. I did not go hog wild trying to get one of everything. But now that I have them, the plan is to build the ammo stash over time.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Price of everything seems to be going up. If people are paying for it you would be foolish not to sell it for a higher amount. Milk also use to be .30 cents a gallon. People are still buying milk by the hundreds of thousands of gallons daily. Go to the local dairy farmer and tell him you want a gallon for .30 cents and he can process the milk the old fashioned way without the higher costs of processing. You will get most likely get shot at with high priced ammo. Either pay the price or don’t buy it. It’s that simple.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Price of everything seems to be going up. If people are paying for it you would be foolish not to sell it for a higher amount. Milk also use to be .30 cents a gallon. People are still buying milk by the hundreds of thousands of gallons daily. Go to the local dairy farmer and tell him you want a gallon for .30 cents and he can process the milk the old fashioned way without the higher costs of processing. You will get most likely get shot at with high priced ammo. Either pay the price or don’t buy it. It’s that simple.
If you remember milk at 30 cents a gallon you must really be old.

We were selling whole unpasteurized milk right off the farm for 60 cents a gallon in the 1960s.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
25,635 Posts
When I was a kid spending parts of summers on an aunt's Potter farm, I'd get used to my milk straight from the teat. Mom said when I got home again, didn't like bottled milk at all.

We had an NRA reloading course at our club yesterday. Talked to my LGS guy who was there helping teach the course.. Said ammo is starting to trickle in again, but not much.

·
Registered
25,635 Posts
. I spent some time last week looking at Sportsmen's Warehouse site for ammo. Everything they had on the site was out of stock, as far as I looked,. 6 or 7 pages into it.

·
Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
I remember that but highly doubt too many others do. Oh the good ol days!
Yep, I remember dipping whole milk into one gallon glass jugs. It came from the milk can's stored in the large milk cooler, which is where it went after being dumped into a strainer directly from the milk buckets after the milk can right out of the cow.

I also remember just how good a dipper of cold milk tasted from those cans in the cooler, after bringing in a load of freshly baled hay or unloading and stacking a load of hay into the barn.

Yep those were the good ole days of my memories. But, I'm still not so sure I would want to go back to doing that all over again. Nice memories but it sure was a lot of hard work while other kids were off enjoying life in the local swimming hole.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yep those were the good ole days of my memories. But, I'm still not so sure I would want to go back to doing that all over again.
Dick Bodenhorn
If I could I'd go back to those good old days in a heartbeat, life was a lot simpler back then.
We didn't have a lot of money so my buddies and I would buy a car for 50 bucks at Guy Splicker's junk yard, fix and drive it until it's wheels quit turning then he would give us 25 trade in for another gem.
In school if we misbehaved we had a meeting with the pine board of education and jeans were a no no, the rivets would scratch the desks. We seldom got a new pair of shoes, when the soles had holes in them or the nails holding the heels on started to draw blood they went to the shoemaker in town for new'ens.
Of the six of us brats I was the money tycoon. After school I would mow lawns or pump gas at an Esso station for $.50/hour, $.75 on Saturdays to inspect cars which amounted to "looks good to me". I was almost fired from that job. After cleaning some old miserable bat's windshield for the tenth time complaining it was still streaky I grabbed an old dirty greasy rag hang'n on the oil rack...... :p

241 - 260 of 276 Posts