The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to get a bit concerned that this ammo shortage isn't going away anytime soon.

Seems like whatever brick and mortar store I go to or on line store nobody has any 22-250 hornady ammo or any other ammo to speak of and it's hard to imagine that production can't keep up with the demand. Something just doesn't seem quite kosher to me!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
i got my last batch of .223 varmint ammo from the federal web site. stores and online sellers are out of a ton of ammo. wally world here in Harborcreek only has shotgun ammo on the shelf and thats just 20 and 28 gauge, about 10 boxes total.
if you can find what you're looking for...grab it. i heard federal, and others have enough back orders to take a year to fill.
my local gunsmith said his distributor told him, nothing gets put on shelves in the warehouse any more. as soon as the delivery truck arrives, they pack the orders and ship everything out.
its going to get worse as more and more new comers buy guns, they need ammo too. i heard 2 million NEW gun owners last year and they bought ammo too.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Until this problem slows down or goes away they need to put a limit on purchase, I can't understand why there's a shortages for people that reload?
Primers and powder are non existent. Primers are going for $250 a thousand on GB. Federals CEO said that they are not selling primers right now because all production is going into loaded factory ammo.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i heard 2 million NEW gun owners last year and they bought ammo too.
Try five million first time new firearms owners.
NEWTOWN, Conn. – NSSF®, the trade association for the firearm industry, updated retail survey-based estimates and concluded that nearly 5 million Americans purchased a firearm for the very first time in 2020. NSSF surveyed firearm retailers which reported that 40 percent of sales were conducted to purchasers who have never previously owned a firearm.
Reloading components? I saw a brick of F210 primers sell on a online auction sell for $90 and on another two packs of 100 for $50....EACH!
My son and I took a drive to Shydas last Thursday. Plenty of powder, one lonely box of Sierra 243/6MM bullets, one bag of Hornady brass and the only 22RF ammo was junk Aquila for $9.99/ box of fifty, limit one per customer. Even ML stuff was slim pickings.
Firearms? Plenty on the racks but nothing to feed them.
An old long time friend stopped by asking if I knew where he could find 38 Spl ammo. I gave him 50 of my reloads under the condition he would return my MTM box!

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
Lots of price gouging going on. Over on the old Pennswoods ( Rennug now ) site, folks want $100 for a 500 brick of .22s. Another guy wants $35 for a box of .410 shells.

If I never bought another shell, I’d probably have plenty of ammo for my lifetime. I would like to get some TSS .410 shells.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was trying to hold out for some nosler partitions in .280 rem but as I watched the copper bullets start to sell out I bit the bullet (pun intended) on two boxes of the trophy bonded tip. Since core lokt is in limbo I have no choice but to switch ammo so I'm hoping these work out halfway decent. They were charging $48 a box, but til you add it all in it was over $115 for 50 rounds, ordered 9 days ago and still processing.

·
Super Moderator
5,897 Posts
I was able to buy some 308 Federal ammo directly from the Federal site.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered 2 boxes of .410 TSS. Not cheap, but it never is, and it’s always been scarce. I wanted to have some for the Savage 310 I bought for the grandsons. There’s five of them, between 3 and 6 years old. Probably won’t need them this year, but I want some on hand.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
My son and I took a drive to Shydas last Thursday. Plenty of powder, one lonely box of Sierra 243/6MM bullets,
Sad to hear. I've been to Shydas' 3 times since mid December and was happy to find primers, bullets and powder except for the last trip, no primers. I guess I was pretty lucky.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
was at Morrs Outdoors and Hakes Sporting Goods about a week ago and their shelves were totally empty except for a few odd ball shells . Nothing dad or I or anyone else I know of needs.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts