The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, with everything that has happened and the threat of gun control my local gun shop has been hit hard. All the auto rifles were gone on that Saturday and the pistol racks are 2/3 empty and they don't know when they will be getting stuff as the distributers got hammered as well. With that in mind someone traded in a short barrel compact PT145 in 45 auto and I jumped at it. I like the gun and it feels good in my hand (was looking for a sub compact 9 or 40) but I am not up on 45 auto ammo. Anyone have one and what do you use? Looking on the internet it seems that Speer, Hornandy, and Corbon have ammo for the short barrel. Just looking for some practical experience.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I personally like the Barnes Tac XP bullets and think you'd do great with the lighter 160 grain +P out of the short barreled .45 ACP. It would still give you good expansion at the slower velocities. Double Tap Ammo sells them already loaded and ready to go. Make sure whatever you choose you shoot it to make sure it functions well in your gun. So .45's are picky. Good luck!

Mac

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
I have had a few short barrel 45s.

For self protecion in short barrel 45s I shoot whatever is reliable. Reliability is the # 1 concern.

In most instances I use 230 gr ball because I know it works, it is reliable and most brands are accurate.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You like the ball ammo better than the short barrel hollow points? Also my from what people are telling me the +P has too much powder to all burn in a short barrel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts