The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
went to walmart today to pick up a few grocery items. just for fun i checked the sporting goods section, no rifle or handgun ammo at all. shotgun ammo was down to a few boxes of target loads for 20 and 28 gauge. they have no idea when they will get more of anything.
I see today the guns are back on the racks, like you said no ammo

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you listen to the video's put out by Hornady and Federal they try to tell everyone that they are producing at record levels and unfortunately the reloaders will suffer as all the components are going to ammo production rather than reloading supplies. This was very telling on the Federal side as they produce the Federal and CCI primers so allot of what is used. The excess demand created by our current political situation has not helped so it has been the perfect storm of too much demand and no supply. One of the shops I have gotten supplies from in the past doesn't totally buy into all that as none of these folks indicate where all this production is actually being shipped but not showing up at dealers. As he said - "there is a snake in the woodpile but we haven't found it yet". I have no idea but if everyone is producing at record levels we shouldn't be this out of things in my mind. I just saw that the same Federal Pres. also sent a letter to his distributors that prices will be going higher by as much as 15% starting on April 1st. My guess will be that we will see more product after that time as they can get more money for it. They seemed to attribute to making more hunting ammo than ever. I'm not buying that as how much ammo do hunters need and actually use. When all I worried about was hunting, I maybe ran through 150-200 rounds per year and I was unusual among my hunting companions who could make a box last many years. I now shoot more recreationally and more long range competitions and such so 2500 rounds is more the norm. As one mentioned prior he doesn't feel he hoards but try's to keep adequate supply, I thought I did that also but in these times I didn't stock near enough. That will change once supplies hopefully come available. I won't pay stupid prices just to have things but I buy what I can anymore, immediate need or not.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have been a pretty serious reloader for over 40 years, and always kept a decent inventory on hand. After experiencing the shortages that occurred after Newtown, I stocked up, and am glad I did. You would think serious shooters, after more than a few "ammo and component shortages" in recent years, would have done the same.

The folks I really feel bad for are the new gun owners, who by either fear for the future, or just getting into hunting and sport shooting, find themselves in a bind . The future does not look bright for them when it comes to being able to buy affordable ammo. I have given some ammo away to folks I know in both categories, but not so much for those "experienced" shooters who really should have known better.

Larry

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think that one of the problem " not saying it's all wrong " hunters hoarding "what" they can. Like the toilet paper shortage. Now you see the same "so call hunters" resale a box of 30-30 for 35 bucks or more!
I just sold several thousand cci BR 4 primers to a friend of mine,I told him I was charging him $30 a thousand and I felt bad about it

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I saw someone advertising 100 small rifle primers on Rennug for $40 recently. I hope nobody's paying 40 cents per primer. People are consistently paying 2x to 10x+ previous retail prices (pre covid & BLM riots, arson, looting, attacks, homicides etc.) for components on gunbroker. Obama was the previous GOAT salesman for firearms/ammo. Biden, Harris, Pelosi, Schumer are well on their way to displace Obama...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
keep in mind about 7 million new guns owners ,who are buying ammo now , plus existing guns owners buying ammo , maybe primers being bought up by manufacturers ??
also a lot of production was slowed under Trump ,because of slower demand

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This. Whenever there is a shortage it brings out the rats. My buddy has a .224 Valkyrie and he shows up early in the mornings before sportsman warehouse trying to find that caliber and primers. He said its the same dozen dudes who go in and buy everything new on the shelves no matter what it is to resale it. The local classifieds are full of ammo for resale.

Last time we went through this, walmart was the constant supply of ammo back when they sold it. The local gunshop would send its employees there when they had ammo in to buy it and then resell it at their shop for triple the money. I never liked them and I was glad when they went out of business. Everyone says to support local gun shops but the ones around here are always the first to price gouge. The only one I ever do business with is Fort Chambers. Jim is truly a great guy.

Reactions: 325wsm

·
Registered
659 Posts
There will always be those who go though life unprepared and then cry and whine when it catches up with them. No sympathy here. Forget about the massive quataties of ammunition the military has bought the last 2 years. If you have paid attention to the published reports of ammo sales to government agencies that I did not even had fire arms you would realize how much your government, ie the deep state, hates and fears us. Add that to 7,000,000 new first time gun owners just this year I fully understand why there are shortages. So as this cycles around we will see it again and hear the same whining, from the same people.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
There will always be those who go though life unprepared and then cry and whine when it catches up with them. No sympathy here. Forget about the massive quataties of ammunition the military has bought the last 2 years. If you have paid attention to the published reports of ammo sales to government agencies that I did not even had fire arms you would realize how much your government, ie the deep state, hates and fears us. Add that to 7,000,000 new first time gun owners just this year I fully understand why there are shortages. So as this cycles around we will see it again and hear the same whining, from the same people.
True hunters buy enough ammo to hunt! Not like some who buys to make a profit! That's the new cycle

·
Registered
407 Posts
Same people that are caught short handed with ammo will also be caught short handed for cash come retirement time, always prepare for the future

·
Registered
407 Posts
If your not smart enough to see the trend on ammo shortage then you’ll never have enough sense to save for your retirement

·
Registered
159 Posts

This is a place I usually deal with if anyone is close. I usually try to visit as much as I can, but being 3 hours away and camp is shut down till spring I haven’t been able too. With that said I e-mailed them to see what’s available. Primers come in in low numbers but powders are available.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I see the same with powder around here. Same guys buying it up and then reselling at a large profit. I have enough though I am getting a little uncomfortable about my H4831 levels.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have enough though I am getting a little uncomfortable about my H4831 levels.
When my son and I were at Shydas a few weeks they had plenty of powder. Right now they're showing they have one pounders of H4831, $33.99/ $206.99 for 8#s of SC.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts