The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at a reloading shop Tuesday and he was wiped out on primers. He said it's 7 months out for primer restocking. He didn't know why they're so back ordered other than hoarding. I'm now trading primers to keep reloading. Other components are fetching premium prices if they're even available.

Anyone have inside scoop on reasons other than hoarding?

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I decided to start loading 30-06 a couple weeks before deer season and it was tough. I already had 2000 primers, found the bullets, brass and dies, but the next day there was none to be found. I bought 8 pounds of powder because there were no 1 pounders any where. Borrowed a shell holder and later finally found 2 to buy. I think I got lucky, because there isn't much out there now.

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
Okay let me add that this might be a historic year for gun sales.Those people need ammo and a smart gun dealer will hold ammo back to make a sale easier .So when ammo got scarce people that never reloaded thought they needed to.Try buying anything reloading even a quality press.The riots and a Democrat possibly as president fueled the run on guns,ammo and components.It could be a couple years to normalize if it does.If you have ammo or components it might be wise to be frugal with them.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’ve seen the same thing in the Beaver County area, ammo and powder are gone and bullets and powder are hit or miss. I only know because I was looking for a specific primer and bullet to try in a new rifle. I stocked up on other calibers s few years back.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
here is what one shop owner was saying.....the distributors he buys from stated that the Remington bankruptcy shut down Remington ammo manufacturing, so no ammo or components from that plant. it will not restart fully until January or February.
the other 3 or 4 big ammo makers are slow due to the virus & it is claimed that those places are not fully staffed.
there is also a rumor that one ingredient for making the primer mix is in low supply.

add to that is the demand so ammo & reloading items are scarce. the bigger buyers/stores (like Cabelas) get served 1st because of buying power. then the distributors hand out the rest to smaller buyers.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Same here in the Northern part of the state, I frequent shops along Interstate 81 above Scranton. Not much for primers, powder and bullets. Good thing brass is reusable. All the places I shop at say the same thing. It will be a long time for components because most of the supplies will go to first to the ammunition manufacturers to produce loaded ammunition which is also in very short supply.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yup, perfect storm of Covid, political/racial unrest. Primers are non existent all over. In addition to hoarding, I would think that everything being produced is going in to loaded ammo(which is also being hoarded). Components always seem to lag behind ammo, so I don't think you're going to see primers on the shelf with any regularity for minimum 1yr...maybe more.

·
Registered
21,136 Posts
my local gunsmith told me his distributor told him, they dont even stock the warehouse anymore. when the truck comes in from the manufacturer, they unload the pallets and ship out the orders, same day.
they have such a back log the stuff never gets on the shelf, just shipped back out the day it arrives.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I stopped at a reloading shop Tuesday and he was wiped out on primers. He said it's 7 months out for primer restocking. He didn't know why they're so back ordered other than hoarding. I'm now trading primers to keep reloading. Other components are fetching premium prices if they're even available.

Anyone have inside scoop on reasons other than hoarding?
Let's start with 7,000,000 first time gun owners in 2021. Some of those also jumped into reloading. Many long time owners who never reloaded decided they better start so they would have ammo. On top of that, every time there is the possibility of Dems winning an election components become short. Anyone who has been awake knows to stay a year minimum ahead on components. As a competitive shooter who shoots thousands of rounds a year I have learned to plan ahead . Some would call that hoarding, I call it comment sense. By law the production of military ammo takes presidence over everything else. The in the last several years there have been massive contracts by the military as Comrade Communist Obummer had allowed our supplies to run very low.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My neighbor went to the local gun shop in the valley here last week, which I do my business there as well. When he told me he paid $35 for 50 round 95 grain winchester (white box) fmj for his 380. I about fell over backwards. Use to get them for $10 a box 6 months ago? Plus his father in law bought 100 rounds for his 357 magnum for $80.

There new to owning a firearm and didn't know price's were cheaper months ago. I told them to save the casings, buy the primer's, powder, bullets. die sets, start reloading. That evening I did the research what it cost them. Bullets? no one has them, back orders? The cost of primer's? You kidding me? I so glad I reload. I did learn something, I will not attend gun shows any longer. I do not except price gouging period.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The last gun show I attended a few weeks ago, dealers wanted $175 for 1000 primers.
A month or so ago I was watching a brick of F210s up for bid on Shirk's online auction. The winning bid? $90!

·
Registered
21,136 Posts
went to walmart today to pick up a few grocery items. just for fun i checked the sporting goods section, no rifle or handgun ammo at all. shotgun ammo was down to a few boxes of target loads for 20 and 28 gauge. they have no idea when they will get more of anything.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Pennswoods classified section Rennug is interesting to browse. I've had success making fair deals with fellow sportsmen using these classified sites since they've been available. People are now advertising ammo and components anywhere from 2X to 10X the previous retail price. I don't know how much is moving though. Desperate people are paying serious premiums on gunbroker as noted before by others. I don't have a problem with flipping an item for a profit. If another adult is that desperate or stupid to purchase, that's their decision...stupid is as stupid does...2020/2021 definitely has the market cornered on stupid! Hoarding bothers me. It's a mental disease.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts