The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently got a Leupold VX-5HD scope with the CDS dial for my Remington 700 chambered in .30-06 to give more magnification for a little longer range shooting. Being that the scope is higher end than the VX-2s I have on most of my other rifles and I have to chose a load to stick with for the custom CDS dial, I figured I would try a more premium bonded ammo just case I ever use it for bigger game than deer. I currently use Remington 180 gr. Core Lokt in this gun and have never shot any other ammo out of any of my other rifles, so I have no other experiences with different makes.

So I picked up a box of Remington Premier Scirocco Bonded 180gr. Ammo and shot it for the first time today. I have to say I was highly disappointed in the accuracy. Shots were about 4-6” as a group if you can call it that, but they were not consistent as far as up and down. One shot was that far up and then one would be down. This was at 100 yards, so not good. After giving up on the Scirroco as I doubt I would have confidence in the after see the gun shot pereciusly with the Core Lokt, I shot the scope in with the Core-Lokts I have always used for now. So after all that would the Nosler Accubond be a better choice or would you just stick the Core-Lokts as I know they should well out of this rifle already. I realize all guns can be different with different rounds, so just looking for some thoughts.

·
Registered
16,370 Posts
i went thru the same thing with my trusty old rem 700 bolt action 30-06, i tried a bunch of the premium stuff. most accurate i could find without spending more money was the old tried and true 150 grain rem core lokts. right around 2 inches at 200 yards maybe a little under. i dont ever see a need to change again. the furthest i plan to shoot is 300 yards. already took two deer at 221 and 230 yards, both one shot kills.

you can buy more expensive ammo, but dead is dead !

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
If you really want to shot a bonded bonded bullet, trying different brands would be worth the effort. I have no doubt you could find one that shoots tighter than 6". LOL. The Nosler would be worth a try, and don''t forget Federal Fusion....an easy to find, inexpensive bonded option that is worth a shot.

But nothing wrong with Core-Lokt either.....

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I would not expect a Fussion to open up on a woodchuck....it's not what they are designed to do (and I know you know that, bohunr). Core-Lokt is definitely a better choice for an "all purpose/all season" projectile...

Take into account how cheap you can buy them when on sale (even regular price ain't bad), they really are a great choice for most PA hunting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have been shooting 150 grn core-lokt out of both a 06 and a 308 , accuracy was very good for the 150 yds and in where I hunt . They are so affordable that I no longer see a reason to reload for them . Federal Fusion shot just a good but they never seem to go on sale . I normally buy 2 or 3 boxes with the same lott number and I'm good to go. Sometimes when the lott numbers change , the point of impact moves slightly but I address that when I sight in . They have always worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
JD Sometimes cheaper ammo is more accurate.

When I was breaking in my Kimber 7-08 I used cheap PPU ammo and believe it or not that was the most accurate round. But I would not use this for hunting.

The second best groups (POI) I obtained were from Hornady American Whitetail 139 grain and after sighting in my rifle I use this as my hunting rounds.

I also tried the Fusion, Hornady Superperformance and some reloads that a friend gave me to try. The worst grouping I got was from the most expensive box of Ammo, the Superperformance.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I tried out plenty of pricey, "high tech" ammo during my first few years with my 06.
None did anything better than the 165gr PSP CoreLokts that I started out with.... except burn up ammo funds faster.
Many did a lot worse (Barnes X-bullets being THE worst.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had much the same experience with the premium Remington Accu Tip ammo. I bought a new rifle and several different brands of ammo to break it in. I couldn't get it to print better than 4" with the Accu Tip ammo while the Federal American Eagle, Core Lokt's and Winchester Silver all shot much better around 2". Since I reload I had no problem getting the right bullet/powder/load combo to print under an inch. If you don't reload and your rifle likes the Core Lokt's I dont see any reason to change, they are a time proven game getter.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I heard some say that Federal blue box ammo worked best in their rifles for accuracy and drop deer pretty good, you don't have to go with the most expensive ammo to get the job done. If you reloaded I could give you some good info for the 30/06.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input. This gun shoots Core-Lokts well. I was just thinking I would choose a bonded bullet for this rifle in case I ever hunt any bigger game other than deer, and because I need to pick a load to stick with to get the custom CDS dial that came with the Leupold scope. I have only tried the Remingtons loaded with the Swift Scirocco bullets that didn’t shoot well and the Core-Lokts that I have been shooting out of it in the past. I know it can take some trials to find a load each rifle likes, but I was surprised how inconsistent the Sciroccos were given their reputation. I will look into some of the other rounds mentioned. I still might give the Accubonds a try as they were what I was originally going to try prior getting the Scirocco. If all else fails, I know the Core-Lokts shoot well out of already.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you consider Winchester brand or try it in your rifle ?
I hadn’t yet, as I wasn’t as familiar with their ammo line in centerfire. I have used Winchester ammo in my handguns in the past. Do you have a recommendation for a bonded Winchester? Thanks

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
no I don`t. I have used some Winchester in my shotguns, but never in my rifles. Was just wondering if you used it or consider it. I`m sorry I couldn`t be of more help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
i tried the fusions, they were accurate but didnt open up on groundhogs like the core lokts did, so i went back...just my preference.
My son lives in Idaho with his family. He and the 3 grandkids have all killed deer and elk with Federal Fusions. Son quit reloading just use so Fusions. He shots a .280, the kids use .243s. Never have had a bad experience with them . I believe all but 1 mule deer 1 shot kills. I gave him rebuttal about .243 elk, but it has worked very well for them on multiple kills.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts