The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an amish shed delivered to camp. It is rough cut board and batten. I am not quite sure what type of wood though. I am wondering what you guys have used for stain and sealers that are easy to apply and last a few years.

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Not exactly environmentally friendly...but diesel fuel and oil mixtures are used pretty regularly on such projects...

I know an old timer that has done his sheds, garages, barns and house with it since they were built...

Not sure of the mixture...i know the first couple coats is straight fuel and oil..then if he wants color he cuts some kind a paint with the mixture...

·
Registered
25,981 Posts
Several barns and sheds not far from camp have been "treated" to that oil/fuel mix over the years. Doesn't look much different than weathered boards after a few years. Mostly dark brownish-gray, depending on how new the board were when first treated.

On new rough cut hemlock wood it initially is just dark brown.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I live in a redwood house. Best combination of sealer/stain I've found is a product called Ready Seal. You can find it on the internet and it's supposed to be available at Home Depot. It shows up on their website but they don't carry it at the store in Bloomsburg. It did a really nice job on our siding both appearance and protection.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
yobuck 1 said:
Would an Amish built shed require a different treatment
than say a catholic built shed? lol
Practicing Catholic or just considers oneself Catholic?

What if a Catholic is buying and treating an Amish shed?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Buckethead said:
Just make sure whatever you use you apply manually. If you use a power sprayer, the bishop will be angry with you.
A pump sprayer is okay though, right?

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
yobuck 1 said:
JasonN said:
yobuck 1 said:
Would an Amish built shed require a different treatment
than say a catholic built shed? lol
Practicing Catholic or just considers oneself Catholic?

What if a Catholic is buying and treating an Amish shed?
If their gonna be building the sheds, they should also sell the proper Amish stain for them lol.
Levi D. Mast does....Levi E. Mast does not! I'm not even joking. You're welcome to go to Venus, PA to find that out first hand if you like! Levi E. is on 157 and Levi D. is on Wilson Rd. Dead serious!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
JasonN said:
Levi D. Mast does....Levi E. Mast does not! I'm not even joking. You're welcome to go to Venus, PA to find that out first hand if you like! Levi E. is on 157 and Levi D. is on Wilson Rd. Dead serious!
The sad thing is Levi E. and Levi D. are probably brothers ... my dog has a better blood line than most Amish ! ! !

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I used behr ultra premium wood stain/ sealer on mine. Chocolate color. It came out buetiful. This was 4 years ago and it still looks like the day I put it on. And my shed gets sun most of the day. If its made by the Amish it's hemlock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.