The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about trying this as I read that it is a very clean burning black powder substitute. Has anyone tried this stuff? I'd be interested to hear about it.

Thanks in advance for any reviews provided

·
Registered
118 Posts
Used 2F American pioneer in my flintlock, worked ok but it seemed to have slow ignition ( stuff looks like cat litter). Ended up having to push a little 4f into the charge thru the touchhole. Was cleaner burning but went back to goex because I like the fast ingnition I got. I think if I had a inline it would definitely be the way to go due to the hotter/direct ignition.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
From what I've heard it degrades once you open the container and expose it to air, it also has a higher ignition temperature than regular powder. Be aware though that it is more corrosive than regular black powder, so don't think you can wait a week before you clean it, or even days, it will ruin your barrel!

·
Registered
12,043 Posts
I have yet to try a substitute that works right in a flinter. Ignition delay is usually the best they can do. A flint lock with real black ignites in roughly .03 seconds. Substitutes when they work, are often double that time. Imperceptible to some. Big difference on targets.

Subs also usually have a problem compressing uniformly from shot to shot. The result is a wider range of velocities than when using real powder. Hence less consistent down range on the target.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I 100% agree with you zimmerstutzen, stick with " real" black powder. Last fall I watched a guy with a flintlock at the club try those pre-formed sticks, what a disaster that was. After watching him and noticing the slow ingnitions I got I with American pioneer, I am sticking with the real stuff.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I many years ago tried APP 2f. I agree with Zimmerstutzen. I used it in a sidelock percussion with less than stellar results. It was hard to ignite, less powerful than even real BP and in 2f was what I considered river gravel. I had to use nearly 10 grains more of the APP over my charge of bp to get the bullet to hit my bp group. I cannot attest to the corrosive aspects as I clean my rifles after using them. You do not state what rifle you are planning to try the app in and if a flintlock for me I would forget it. Its ignition temp is just too high for good ignition and if you have to back up with real bp you have just defeated the cleanliness claimed by app.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I've used APP for about 10yrs now. Works great in my in-line and pretty well in my flinter if I. Never had a misfire, if I use 4f Goex in the pan, cleans up very well with just cold water, and hasn't had any kind of "deteriorization" like I've read. I use 100gr under a 295 gr Powerbelt in both guns and the inline gets 1.5" groups at 65yds, with the flinter just a bit wider. I use the Shockey's Gold version of it. One thing though, don't get their stupid trapezoidal pellets. Those I found to be a joke

·
Registered
20,859 Posts
I've yet to find any reason to use any substitute in a flintlock.Blackhorn 209 works as advertised in an inline however.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used the APP mostly in my sidelock percussion and got more than a few hangfires. I always got slower ignition than with real BP. As I said before I felt it was anemic and just did not have the power of even real BP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Used this powder years ago, and will never use it again. It is affected by humidity, and degrades over a short time. Will clump in can, and is definitely less powerful than equal (volume) black powder. In a percussion sidelock, or flinter real black is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I totally agree only real blk powder will go into my guns. I think the reason the substitute's are popular is because they can be easily seen on the shelf of a store, where black powder is kept in the back in a locked box. I just don't think that people know that they have to ask for it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts