The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
those are the old versions of APP. they have the super sticks out now which are one big stick. ive been testing some and i really like them. im on my way out so when i get home , i can help you out more.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
okay i started shooting APP-JSG loose and stick form about a little over a month ago. Love the stuff! I've done 3 moisture tests with it so far and every one of them passed. Very consistent from one shot to the next, from one week to the next.
Using 100gr Super Stick APP with a 300gr XTP mag in a mmp-24 sabot, this was 3 shots @ 100 yards with my CVA Accura. Never have to swab between shots!

CVA Hawken .50cal @ 100 yards with open sights. 90gr JSG 2f, .018 patches and .490 round balls.

90gr JSG 2f, .020 patch and .490 round balls out of a cabelas hawken @ 50 yards. This rifle has NEVER shot this good with round balls!

If you want to use the Sticks, Go with the Super Stick as it produces reliable/better performance. I've enjoyed them so far.

Loose Powder, I really like both Jim Shockeys Gold and American Pioneer. A couple of our sidelocks love the 3F so i use both forms of powder.

100 VS 150

In the cabelas hawken i went and shot 26 shots over two days without ever having to swab.
Heres 11 of the shots. I normally allow the barrel a few minutes to cool down between each shot but this time, i just loaded and fired as fast as i could.

As far as keeping your pellets safe, Get some speedloaders or powder tubes. Bringing your entire can of sticks hunting is fine, but just open it for emergencies when you need the sticks. Its better to just expose a handful of sticks rather than the entire can.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
powerbelts shoot excellent with this powder. 2f doesnt shot well in the sidelocks but the 3f + powerbelt = awesome groups. the sticks go great with powerbelts as well. i looked but didnt see where it said not to use powerbelts.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
that plastic skirt is there mainly to hold the bullet in the bore and to make for easier loading. It seals the gas somewhat but the bullet itself seals the bore just like a conical is supposed to. But in the last day and a half i've shot over 90 shots with APP-JSG powder, all with excellent results. Could be just the rifle doesnt like the powder or even the bullet.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
i see what you mean about powerbelts and the fact that APP recommends a firm loading sabot. The Powerbelts however, work perfectly fine. They recommend a firm loading bullet because once you fire the rifle, the next load and the next after load very easily. If the projectile you are shooting is to loose, you can end up with the bullet moving off the powder. But powerbelts will work perfectly fine as long as they do not move off of the powder charge on a fouled bore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.