The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using this powder for several years. Lots of good points: easy to use in the "stick" form, essentially non-corrosive, makes gun very easy to clean.

But I've had some concerns with it. I switched from 2 sticks (100 grains) with a Knight sabot and Hornaday 250 grain all copper bullet to 2 sticks and a 300 grain Platinum Power belt.

The powder that I am using is a couple of years old. It seems that I am not getting consistent velocities with the powder. Looking at the sticks, it seems the corners are rounded off somewhat. I've also heard/read that older American Pioneer Powder looses its power. I have always store the powder in the sealed jar that it comes in and in a low humidity enviorment. I do carry the jar around with me in my SUV during the muzzleloading season and wonder if the vibration has caused the rounding of the edges of the sticks.

Any experience with this propellent out there? I'm thinking about going to 150 grains of sticks and 250 grain TC Shock Wave bullets and the slick load sabots.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard of other folks having inconsistent groups with the powerbelts. They attributed it to poor gas sealing, but I'm not sure if that was just a feeling or if they had some sort of proof. I think I will be switching to TC super slick sabots with 150 grains of sticks to see if that will help. Won't be doing it for a while, as I can't drive into my clubs range till the snow melts and frost is out of the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.