The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else dabble in "at home" amateur taxidermy? Specifically deer shoulder mounts. If so, what supply companies do you use for buying forms, eyes, tanning solution, etc??

·
Registered
216 Posts
I dabbled at home for many years before a became a licensed taxidermist. I use the same suppliers now that I did back then. McKenzie, Vandykes(now Mckenzie), Research Manikins, WASCO, Jim Alred, and there are many more out there. I mainly order from Mckenzie for there quick shipment. order on Mon before noon, I receive it Wed.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Is there a "starters" kit which gives you the basic materials and know how to start doing some simple taxidermy? Thought about starting it myself just for my own pleasure. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most of the taxidermy catalogs I have do offer kits with instructions.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
and which catalogs would that be? I assume the proper way to start is with small game, squirrels, rabbits, etc...

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I've heard that bigger animals are easier than smaller animals. Kind of makes sense. Is it true?

What is the easiest and hardest animals to mount?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to use John Rinehart taxidermy, but that company has been bought out by McKenzie. Some of the Rinehart deer forms are still available at McKenzie and they have an option to purchase the forms with pre-set eyes. That makes it easier, but with a little practice, setting your own eyes can change the whole apperance of the animal.

My opinion is bigger animals are easier to work with. It seems easier to flesh the hide and get it ready to tan. The small animals have thin skin and are hard to get cleaned up without tearing the skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.