The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the US the state only get one bite of the apple. If the defendant is aquited or the conviction over turned on appeal the defendant is done, never to be tried again under state law for the same crime. However, it would appear in Italy, the state gets to take as many bites of the apple as it takes to convict. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I don't know if she is guilty or not. But being tried twice for the same crime doesn't seem fair. Does she have to leave the U.S. to return to Italy? Or can she tell them to stick it?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I read, they are working on that now.

·
Registered
910 Posts
She can be extridited to Italy but from what I saw on tv the other day it is doubtful the US would do because of double jepoardy. From following the case in the news it seems that the itialian police are far behind other countries with evidence collection. I dont know if she did it but tainted evidence is tainted evidence.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
TV said she can only be extridited if they find her guilty. I wonder how many times they can try to find her guilty. I guess they keep trying till they get what they want. I don't think the US would send her back.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I remember when she first got tried, they were saying that the court of public opinion in Italy plays a very large part in their decisions. And since most of the Italians thought she was guilty that's why she was convicted.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but I believe it would be hypocritical to send her back.

...sometimes our errors permit the quilty to go free, but a bigger error and worse verdict would be, the innocent convicted and punished; that's kinda the way our system chooses to be.
A lot of great minds have thought our system out, what scares me is when people want to change it.

Nothing been proven to be better in my opinion.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
The Justice Dept. will not allow her to avoid extradition if that’s what Italy requests. Their out for double jeopardy would be that it was a crime committed in another country that we have a reciprocal agreement with over extradition.
Look at the pressure that was put on France to obtain Ira Einhorn.
Justice Dept would not want other countries we had a treaty with to back out of if they hauled in one of the Al-Qaeda fat cats we’ve been looking for.
If it were my daughter I would say “Run Amanda Run”.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
InVenangoNow said:
timberdoodle said:
when in Rome....
If they expected to obey and respect out laws, then we should do the same. Don;t like it, stay home!
NO, NOT REALLY!!!!

I have NO intentions to respect nor obey Italian out laws. And if YOU don't like it, then go to Italian.

·
Registered
10,199 Posts
for claification "out" should have been "our", after the word "they", there should be an "are", the semicolon in the wor'd don;t, should be a apostrophe making the word "don't". There ya are nancy!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts