- I could care less about "score"
- I put on deer drives
- I don't care when others shoot deer I was after
- I dont plant food plots
- I only use a camera after the hunt
- I shoot a $300 rifle with a $70 scope
- I use my vacation for hunting and do not complain about it
- I do not own any trail cameras
- I taught my children gun safety, marksmanship and outdoormanship years before I would allow them to hunt
- I know what "no trespassing" signs mean, obey them and dont look for ways to get around them
- I share info on where the deer are with strangers
- I know Boone and Crockett were early American pioneers
- I don't need a GPS to navigate the mountains
- I don't need a magnum caliber to kill a deer
- I say " killed a deer"....not "harvested or dispatched"
- I still have lighter fluid burns on my legs from Jon-e warmers
- I still get excited when I see doe
- I don't listen to music or text when in the mountains
- I think game preserves are for lazy people
- I enjoy hunting as a sport and hobby, my life does not revolve around it
- If I don't eat it, I won't kill it
- I shoot factory ammo
- If I shoot a big buck I know it was 90% being in the right place at the right time, not skill
- I remove the tarsal glands and save them
- I don't want Sunday hunting
- I think a safety course should be required for all that hold a weapon before they go afield
- I hate the sense of entitlement that is running rampant
- I dislike cell phones, internet and cable TV at camps
- I still display my license on my back
- I respect game commission officers
- I address my elder hunting friends as "Sir and Ma'am"
- I know woodland camo works just as well as the new high tech, high priced camo
- I use ammonia/water to remove copper from rifle barrels
- I carry a thermos of coffee
- I hunt sunrise...to sundown
- I am considerate to other hunters

This what waking up early and 4 cup's of coffee will do to ya. Have a great day!!

Just remembered some more..

- Because strangers have helped me in the past...I will help anyone drag out a deer
- I make every attempt to drive in my truck or atv so I DON'T have to drag a deer far
- I will always share the meat
- I will never pay a butchers fee
- I would shoot an albino deer in a heartbeat
- I will not litter
- I would not use someone elses treestand
- I have shot many buck with a cigarette in my mouth
- I don't believe the TV hunting show propaganda
- I am sure most of the TV hunters bait(fact)

And finally..

- I don't give a hoot about the overpriced Sportmans Show being cancelled

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
With a couple of small exceptions, you sound like me.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I thought so at first, but anyone who tosses a little shout out to Jose Jalapeno, "On a Steeek" in their avatar can't be labeled as "old fashioned"!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I agree with all but 1 or 2 as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree fully with the vast majority of your list! If I need a new hunting partner, I have a place to start now!
Signed, fellow old fashioned hunter.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Except for a few I am right there with you brother. Tarsal glands - no, don't do the sir, ma'm thing anymore (as a senior citizen myself, I feel it's a denial of reality), don't use amonia except when I am washing windows.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i'm only slightly more modern. i like my gps and cell phone in the woods. and having a smartphone with internet at camp is real handy. quick one word texts between me and my boys sure beat the old walkie talkie squawky. and that tarsal gland thing is not for me.

but i have 3 complete sets of real old woolrich, leather felt pack boots and canvas and orange Jones hats for when i hunt to go retro. goes good with my model 14 remington.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I agree with some, but maybe I am just not that old yet.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
There are a half dozen + or - that I don't do, on your list, but for the most part, I'm the same way.
Old fashioned, I don't think so, more normal then not.
I'll add a couple that I do.
I stay on the ground 95% of the time, a good solid easy to climb blow down can be a God sent.
I hunt with a peep sight 95% of the time, 100% this pass year.
I wear all wool most of the time.
I still do all my own butchering.
I'll compare my liter fluid burn scars to yours anytime.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I guess I'm an old fashioned thirty something, cause I'm with ya on almost all of that stuff. I admit, that I've tried to modernize my hunting equipment over the years. Seems that those things just end up sitting in the boxes in the basement and don't make it out into the woods.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Agree with most and I would add skin my own deer. Every deer since 1975 except once. And after that experience I will add butchering to the skinning.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I agree with most of what you say, except for the cell phone. My wife said that at my age I am not allowed to be in the woods by my self with out the phone. And I have to keep it turned on.
I can live with that now that my grand kid showed me how to put the cell phone in the "vib" mode.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Not only do I agree with the no cell phones at camp I would agree to no cell phones period.I don,t own one and never will and nothin is more irratating than bein somewhere like in a line and havin to listen to someones stupid conversation.Most of the time I get away from the line.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
nessmuk said:
I agree with most of what you say, except for the cell phone. My wife said that at my age I am not allowed to be in the woods by my self with out the phone. And I have to keep it turned on.
I can live with that now that my grand kid showed me how to put the cell phone in the "vib" mode.
I carry one for the same reason, but don't have service most of the places I hunt anyways. On the other hand, I was hunting the early muzzy season last year and got a text telling me my daughter went into labor. Got out of the woods, home, changed clothes, and was at the hospital in time to hear my grandson being born. I've never had service in that area before, and haven't had it since; just that one time. Hmmmmm........

1 - 20 of 76 Posts