The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after fulflling my quest to take a Pa. coyote this past hunting season by lucking into one in flintlock, I got the itch real bad to get some serious predator hunting gear and give it a go for fox and coyote at night.

Thompson Center Encore in 22/250
Burris Fullfield II 3X9 balistic plex reticle
FoxPro Wildfire
Noxx Red Dagger kill light with pressure switch
Star Hunting Light LED scanning cap light

You guys here are a wealth of information. Any other equipment advice to complete my gear for day and night hunting?

Here is my first coyote. Hard to top, I know. I have done a fair amount of daytime predator hunting but I am really looking forward to what the darkness will bring.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
A halo shield on that head lamp would help a lot, and don't forget fox season is over. Good luck and be sure to post some pics when you connect.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Get yourself a nice padded seat. The earth gets mighty hard this time of year, If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I wouldnt even bother, you've already got the holy grail of PA predators. haha Man thats a sweet yote!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Im right with you dpms.....i ve been out a few times....for yotes..no contact yet...but did hear one...im hooked now...buying a 243 savage soon for the mountain yotes....so im excited as you are! and congrats on your first thats pretty sweet..!

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John-PA said:
A halo shield on that head lamp would help a lot,
Any ideas for a halo shield for the headlamp? Something that can be fabricated I assume?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
hmm..my headlamp is a Noxx....so its small.....maybe a plastis lid cutout or a plastic jar....something that fits the od of your lamp....

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I used that little brown thingy inside a toilet paper roll, actually 2 of them, cut both down the middle, put one on top of the other then taped them with black duct tape, works for me hahahaha

·
Registered
18,432 Posts
dpms said:
Any ideas for a halo shield for the headlamp? Something that can be fabricated I assume?
I have a neopreme halo shield I purchased from Boondock's a few years back, it fit the NiteLite Coon Hunter's Headlamp I used in the past. Send me your address and I'll mail it to you for free. I'm guessing your headlamp and my old one are of similar size.
If it doesn't work you can roll up some heavy cardboard and wrap it in black electrical tape. I utilized toilet paper rolls for my Coyote Light and Night Eyes headlamp. Both work great.
A TP roll will be too small for your headlamp however

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Moss said:
I used that little brown thingy inside a toilet paper roll, actually 2 of them, cut both down the middle, put one on top of the other then taped them with black duct tape, works for me hahahaha
By the way, that was for my kill light

·
Registered
927 Posts
Cant beat a set of shooting sticks, especially at night when you halfto run a light... You might be better off holding you light out infront than on your head, but I never go out without my sticks. Also if your hunting daylight than sit in the thickest part of the woods and bring the shotgun. I keep my rifle in my sholder the whole time, and rest my scanning hand on one leg of the sticks, that way you dont halfto move when you need to shoot just lean into the scope, and obviously you will miss much less often. The headlamp is better for scanning when you use a shotgun in tight areas. good luck.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Get a lanyard on that remote so u can quickly let it fall down out of the way and to make sure u don't lose it.
Carry extra batteries in ur pocket, nothing ruins a set quicker than a battery failure.
Comfy seat.
One coaxer mouth call, in case u get one that hangs out of range and isn't quite fooled by the electronic.
And
A four leaf clover!!

Good luck and have fun

1 - 20 of 28 Posts