The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no problem with requiring a background check to sell a gun....even for private sales. As long as it does not involve a registration.

What I would really like to see a national database of firearms reported stolen. This database could be used at the "transfer" point of a used firearm to determine if the gun was reported stolen. Would this not give you a piece of mind when buying a used gun. I bought and sold a bunch and you always wonder.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The problem is that at this point, who can trust the Feds to not use the background check as a registry. I'm sorry, if my father gives me his hunting rifle I do not think it is anyone's business but ours.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
"The problem is that at this point, who can trust the Feds to not use the background check as a registry. I'm sorry, if my father gives me his hunting rifle I do not think it is anyone's business but ours."

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the issue I have with it....I wouldn't mind if you and I met with a shotgun at a background check guy who makes a call and hands me a reference number and says your allowed t buy the gun and the separately plugs the serial number in a computer and says its not stolen and then we leave.

No need for them to record the sell.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bearhunter jay said:
What I wished was a data base of stolen guns so I could check for the serial number. It should be public knowledge.

Wouldn't that be great

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think so! With computers it should be easy breezy I guess they don't want people to know if that good deal they got was a stolen gun or not.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
The problem is with the left, if you "negotiate", or if it's "bi-partisan", that's code for..."See, I was right, now you should give up more..."... and then more, and more.

Once you give an inch, they are emboldened, and want more and more. It's no different than dumbo's "fiscal cliff talks"...raised taxes, so it's over, right? No, that's just the beginning. That "grab the ankles" moment for the GOP did nothing but give them hope for more and more.

The same can be said for guns. While background checks and mental illness seems like an OK idea, it's a slippery slope....AND it really does nothing to stop criminals getting guns. Look at the guy who shot firefighters putting out a fire he set. He WAS a convicted felon for murder, yet he found a way to get a gun illegally. SURPRISE!

Look at Adam Lanza, killed the gun owner (his mom), and went on a killing spree with stolen guns.

99.99999% of gun owners go through normal channels with background checks and all. Criminals are just that. Law breakers that will find a way to do their dirty work, no matter what laws are passed.

NO MORE NEW GUN LAWS. Enforce the ones that are already on the books, and protect soft targets like sports arenas, schools, malls, etc. We have to wake up and realize that there's evil out there. Not just kids that wanna live out their video game fantasies, but there are adult terrorists as well. It won't be long till we see one of those in the news as well. A van load of well armed Islamic terrorists can do a lot a bad. Protect soft targets. We can do it now, after have had several soft targets hit by domestic terrorists, or we can wait till the Middle east wackos do the same thing, and then protect soft targets. When in doubt, as far as dealing with terrorists...ask "What is Israel doing now?" They protect soft targets.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The background check "IS" the registration, ex post facto.
Think about it, you already gave them all information for both parties, and many would not even realize it. If you think it wouldn't go directly to a database, your crazy. This is an issue where you cannot give an inch if you expect to retain your rights. This is at the forefront of politics because an insane person took someones legal weapons and committed a horrible act, thats not your fault or mine, and bears no reflection on our character as legal gun owners.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
that will get there foot in the door for national registry if and when that happens its over as of now they cant track were any long gun is at or what or how many long guns you have. That's what scares them pistals and full autos they know were they are so don't let it happen to long guns with this national registry of sales it will b loged who got it and what you got in witch its aginst the the law now but like the health care bill we the ppl don't know what he has in them e/o he put in goog luck gun owners,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts