The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about aluminum vs steel ferrules.

Alot of companies state their aluminum is just as strong if not stronger than steel....
But everyone I know says to stay away from aluminum ferrules.

Has anyone used a broadhead with an aluminum ferrule and had a failure, breakage etc....

Reason for asking is I really like the short low profile broadheads like the Slick tricks and ABC Sonics. Both have steel ferrules. I like the 4 blade of the slick tricks.. but I also like the cut on contact of the Sonics.

Went to Cabelas the other day and seen what I feel to be the best of both worlds in the Steelforce Phathead.

http://www.steelforce.com/products/phatheads.html

Short, low profile, COC, 4 really thick blades, but..... Aluminum bodies.

Any thoughts or experience with these heads or ferrule failures?

·
Registered
21,520 Posts
I never used those heads but killed quite a few deer with muzzies and never damaged one of those aluminum ferrules.On the other hand,I also killed about a dozen deer with Wasp Jackhammers and the ferrules bent the majority of the time.To date,I've killed over 30 deer with slick tricks and have yet to damage a head.In fact,I killed 4 deer and a turkey with the same head one year and it's still usable.last season,I killed 5 deer with two different slick tricks.The only reason I used two is because the first couple were killed with a grizztrick and the blades chipped up a little and I didn't have any replacement blades.I usually get at least a couple kills with slick tricks without even having to change the blades.I touch them up after they go through a deer and I keep using them.Sometimes,when they pass through a deer and buying 8 inches in the dirt on the other side,the blades will get dinged up a bit.Otherwise,a few light passes over a sharpener and they're good to go.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have shot the phatheads, but not hunted with them yet. I still have sonics that are in good shape, but when they run out I will be hunting with the phatheads. They fly great out to 40 yards, just like the sonics, but seem undestructable with the .080 blades.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts