The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a feel for what the majority of people on this site prefer to use. I would assume that most people use carbon because they're much more durable, etc...

Just post what you prefer to use. Place a make and model if you so choose.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I shot carbon when I used to use my compound and aluminum for the recurve but just made the switch to carbons with the recurve due to durability.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Aluminum - Easton XX78 SuperSlam 2314.
Don't want to say much more because I don't like the debate of carbon v. aluminum. I think carbon arrows are good but they just aren't for me at this time.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I like the ones my bow shoots best, and right now it's Easton aluminum. I tried carbon and wanted them, but what shoots best, is best. IMO however, I am still using an old recurve.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BOTH! I shoot Easton Full Metal Jacket. I have shot both carbon and aluminum in the past and there are pros and cons to both. I'm really happy with the strength and accuracy of the FMJ's so far. Can't wait to see how they will perform on a deer!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Switched from the Easton XX78 SuperSlam 2314 to some cheapo Carbons about 8 years ago. Went back to aluminum, then tried Super Carbons...loved them. Shot them for a few years and then switched to Easton Epics. I'm as happy as ever with these Carbons. I shoot the exact same arrow setup on both my bows.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Carbon. I use Carbon Express "Mayhem". Just got them this year. Shooting great outta my bow. Still waiting to try them out on a deer. So far so good!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I shoot Easton XX78's in 2117 out of the backup bow and shoot Beman Hunter 340's out of the newer one.

I've never had a problem with the carbons.....The aluminum arrows will bend from time to time. Carbons, Well, they are either straight or they're broke.

·
Super Moderator
13,631 Posts
I have so many aluminum arrows it not in the foreseeable future to change anything. I currently shoot XX78 2413's and they group excellent and provide full penetration for lung hits.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Carbon, because they're much more durable. I've bent or creased several aluminum arrows both in practice and hunting situations. I'll never switch back to aluminum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I shot aluminum I used Easton XX78 2216's and would typically damage 2-3 a season before the season. This was typically done when taking unrealistic shots on the 3d course or stump shooting in the woods. I imagine if I restricted my practice to shooting my buck/bag target I probably would have only lost 1 per season. Typically I would take a dozen and reserve half of the arrows for hunting and half for target/practice/goofing around. I would typically only buy another dozen every other season and it wasn't even entirely necessary. I really liked the XX78's but switched to FMJ's because I got a dozen as a gift from my future in-laws last Christmas. Hope this helps!

·
Banned
444 Posts
Well to be fair, you should include glass shafts also.. I'm still shooting some of my dads original Glass shafts. Unless you pile drive one, they are practically indestructable.. I've got several that have been re fletched far more times than I can count....

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
TimberPro said:
Well to be fair, you should include glass shafts also.. I'm still shooting some of my dads original Glass shafts. Unless you pile drive one, they are practically indestructable.. I've got several that have been re fletched far more times than I can count....
Yeah, and I missed my target back in the 70's with a glass shaft. It didn't survive the impact...... with the concrete wall behind the target.

Durable my foot. LOL

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have destroyed 6 aluminum arrows this pre-season. All from hitting the metal fence post that keeps my target upright.

This week I tore a fletch and stuck the arrow vertical into the top of my target for later. Moved back to 40 yards and used the wrong pin. Hit that vertical arrow dead center and punched a hole in it. Darnedest thing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
started out with aluminums and made the switch when i purched a new bow. best thing i ever did. saved me lots of money in arrows. i like how sykotik said it. i know my carbons are perfectly straight all the time or they are broke.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts