The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Deck boat . It's 22 years old , but looks well cared for . An internet search shows a plywood floor with lots of insulation under it . Are they prone to leaks which in turn would soak the insulation ? Is the hull viewable inside on these boats ? Just trying to cover my bases when I go to look at it . The only thing I can think of is to look for loose rivits or maybe cracks in the transom . I'll of course want to hear the motor run and inspect it for cylinder pressure . Anything else anyone can think of checking ? Thanks for any guidance .

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have no idea what you are paying for the boat but they don't give 22 footers away. You may want to think about hiring a boat surveyor to survey the boat before you buy. They will go over the boat and motor and give you a written report of what is good and what is not to help you make an informed decision. If something is found that is repairable you can also use the survey to negotiate a lower price so you don't take a hit on repairs. Here is where you can find a marine surveyor in PA.

https://www.marinesurvey.org/us-regions/pennsylvania.html

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually contacted an old friend that has worked at 3 different boat shops and owned ski boats & pontoons since he was 18 years old . If he's available , I'll take him with me to inspect the boat . Your correct W W , they aren't cheap , that's why I'm trying to cover my bases for the initial inspection . It's no princess , but looks well cared for for it's age . Must of been stored in a garage ? Thanks for the reply W W .

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You are welcome. Sadly I have seen the results of a boat that was purchased without being surveyed by an expert.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
You are welcome. Sadly I have seen the results of a boat that was purchased without being surveyed by an expert.
Sadly I experienced it about 35 years ago. Buying that boat was the second happiest day of my life, the happiest of course being the day I got rid of it.

I thought I was an expert . Live and learn.:smile_big:

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure we've all been in those shoes at one time or another . The reason I know about the soaked insulation is because I forgot to plug the old holes after removing a 85 hp and installing a new 15 hp . My transom was 2 layers and the water was coming in unseen between the 2 layers unbenounced to me . By the time I figured it out , I had to remove the floor and refurbish the entire thing . In the end I created a much stronger & waterproof floor & stringers . I'm to the point now in my life that I don't want to be working on a boat , I want to be out enjoying it with family & friends . A recent death of a loved drove that point home deeply . Life is just too short not to be enjoyed at every opportunity .

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unbelievable outcome today . Talked to the boat owner at noon and told him I was coming with hand money until the bank opens Monday just to be sure he knows I'm serious about buying it . An hour and 15 minutes into an hour and a half drive , I pass a boat going the opposite direction that looks JUST LIKE THE ONE I'M HEADING TO BUY ! ! ! I Suddenly get a text on my phone , SORRY THE BOAT IS SOLD . WOW just WOW ! People are absolutely amazing . :mad2::cussing:

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
A guy did the same to me on a quad a couple years ago. I drove almost 2 hours just to watch it get loaded into someone else's truck.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand people just want to sell whatever it is , but the guys text said his wife sold it while I was politely waiting for him to return from the morning flea market . I was trying to be respectful and not disrupt the guys sunday morning plans . Just discusted with the whole thing . The transaction had to be going on for over an hour . A quick apologetic call could have a least saved me half a tank of gas and I could have spent the day looking in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION up near lake Erie . Oh well , I always believe things happen for a reason .

NOW , WHO HAS THAT FREE PONTOON BOAT I'M LOOKING FOR ? ? ? ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts