The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently lost my container of rail lube oil. Is there a household cleaner or substance that would work just as well on a crossbow?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When I ran out a few years ago I bought some "Rail Snot....Nothings Slicker" for about $10, good sized tube, works great, still have about half left. No idea on homemade substitute, but I'm sure someone on the site does.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would be careful what you put on your rails because it will be on your string as well. I just bought some Scorpion Venom lube to replace the no name stuff that came with the crossbow, the Lancaster Archery shop recommends it.

Reactions: barrike

·
Banned
2,482 Posts
If you have guns FP10 works great. if you buy it for a gun you can get a really big jug for just a few bucks more than you get if you buy the small bottle they sale for crossbows.

·
Registered
398 Posts
When I bought my crossbow, the Tenpoint/Horton rep told me any light oil would do, there was nothing magic about the stuff they market for crossbows. To that end, I have not tried anything else yet but as soon as I use or loose the oil that came with my crossbow, I will probably try Ballistol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd bet that Vaseline works just as well than a known name rail lube.
String lube, I would get only what is manufactured for crossbow strings.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
awhile back guys suggested using a spray called Jig a Loo silicone spray but it seems it's not available anymore,,, that's what I have been using just don't soaked the rail and trigger area ..

·
Registered
423 Posts
jig a loo or any type of dry lube, do not use wax or anything that stays wet. I used to service crossbows and the amount of junk that shows up in the triggerbox form using wax and wet lube is unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
One of the reasons I buy Excalibur I have not used rail lube in 15 years.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I use Ballistol. It makes a fine, slick patch lube for the flintlock, and it suits my old, Parker crossbow.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
How often should I lube the crossbow rail? Mine is new, out of the box with no oil. Where do I put the oil exactly and how much?

·
Registered
18,631 Posts
How often should I lube the crossbow rail? Mine is new, out of the box with no oil. Where do I put the oil exactly and how much?
Use it sparingly. I apply then wipe most of it off my my finger. There should only be a "sheen" on the rail Too much and you are pulling it back into the trigger box which can gum it up.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There was a yellow insert in the box my Tenpoint came in. It said to not only lube the rail but to also lube all of the servings. I did, but it felt wrong...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts