The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy wants to spray his food plot and this stuff seems pricey, $40 for a pint that will treat an acre. Supposed to kill grasses but leave the food plants unharmed.
I know there has to be a generic alternative to Whitetail Institute products.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In my clover plot, I use clethodim to kill the grasses and butyrac 200 for broadleaf weeds if mowing doesn't keep the broadleafs at bay. Both WAY cheaper than WI versions.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tractor Supply has Gordons Pasture Pro for grasses. Would that work and not affect the food plot plantings? Gordons also has Amine 2 4 D for broadleaf. Will that affect crops?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
delphic93 said:
In my clover plot, I use clethodim to kill the grasses and butyrac 200 for broadleaf weeds if mowing doesn't keep the broadleafs at bay. Both WAY cheaper than WI versions.
I also use both of these.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
2 4 D will kill the clover. You want Butyrac 200...which is 2 4 D-B, OK to use on clover.

delphic93 is dead on with his suggestions for a much less expensive approach. To say WI stuff is way overpriced is a huge understatement.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Delphic is spot on. If your buddy has chicory in his clover the butyrac will kill it though.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use 1-1.5 pint gly/acre on established plots when clover is not stressed (ample water). Cheap and I always have it around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts