The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i haven't been running my dogs as much as i should so we took the beagle to the GL to run the edge off him. about 60 yards from the parking lot is an old block building that always has a bunny by it. he start getting some scent there and then goes silent. i couldn't figure out where he went. with the waist high grass i should have seen something moving. Garmin says he is 22 yards but pionting wrong way. i recal the compass and it pionts back to the building. then i heard a whine. there is a open window on both sides so i go to one side and see him running around in there and then i heard the buzzz. i called him to the window and yanked him out. there was about a 40 inch black phase rattler coiled near the other window. how he never got wacked as much as he was running around in there i don't know. i guess thats the last time i run there. it was too dark for pics on the cell but i got a video when i lifted it to the window with a stck but i can't get it off my phone to post.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That is scary for sure!!
My main running area is INFESTED with them, I have seen probably 15 this year already. I will say tho' it is rare for a rattler to bite something he can't eat(unless they get after it). I watched as 8 dogs ran all around one, once before we could catch them up. He finally struck one youngster that went back and got right in his face. IT IS NO FUN. I try to break my dogs from messing with snakes and it works pretty well. I don't run there much any more from June to September....

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
I have a female friend that lives in a high-end plan in Arizona. She says that her plan is just lousy with Snakes. Not a day goes by that they aren't sunning on her boulders, slithering along her pool, etc.... Well, all the folks that live there send their Dog's to "Snake School". She said if they didn't, none would survive.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought about going back wit the shocker and "schooling" him but he didn't mess with it and i think snake breaking wouldn't help much when they strp on one while running. just wil aviod that spot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts