The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very close to catching my first Golden (ever). I was at my lake of choice trying to get in a few casts before the storm hit. A few sprinkles hit the water and the fish woke up. I was using a 1/4 oz Kastmaster brown/yellow color. Caught 3 rainbows and then I was retrieving my cast and about 10 feet from shore I lift my rod to get the lure out and just as it comes out of the water I see it.. a nice sized (not sure how big) but over 18 inches for sure. I threw back it hit but I failed to set the hook. It is shocking to me that I never caught one (35 plus years of fishing) in all of my years and it is a goal this season.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
It is definitely special when you catch one. In all the years I have been fishing I have only been lucky enough to catch two.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Best of luck catching one this season! I caught one a few
years ago, a fat 24" golden. Hope you catch that big golden!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Im sure it will happen for ya. There doesnt seem to be alot where I fish. I think ive caught around 9, And most of those in the 14-17 inch range.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
I saw 2 this week swimming around sections of the Lehigh, almost aimlessly. I thought the one was gonna take an insect off the water but he refused the real thing, then he turned and went to another feeding lane, like he had no clue. I don't think they're very smart. I consider them nothing more than targets for the predators.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Henry David said:
I saw 2 this week swimming around sections of the Lehigh, almost aimlessly. I thought the one was gonna take an insect off the water but he refused the real thing, then he turned and went to another feeding lane, like he had no clue. I don't think they're very smart. I consider them nothing more than targets for the predators.
Especially birds of prey.. like eagles!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
seen 9 this past weekend caught 2 hooked a couple others...this is the 8th pali I caught in the past 3-4 years...largest being 24" 4.5 lb....just luck I guess

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
I caught a few over the years but one time I caught a holdover that looked more green than yellow.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Moss said:
I caught a few over the years but one time I caught a holdover that looked more green than yellow.
I just caught a 17" on sunday that was green tint to it also...i know it was recently stocked so..why green tint?...who knows...genetics

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Hang in there. I caught my first 1 this year on opening day. 18" heavy fish. Dont recall how many years I have been fishing LOL lets just say a few.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Just caught my first on Monday. 18" that I released.

Still makes me sick thought to think about what happened two years ago. Spotted a big golden under a brush pile at the head of a nice pool. Tossed my white Rooster Tail in and he nailed it hard. He came out of the water instantly and I could see just how big he was, at least 24". I battled him for about 30 more seconds and then the hook came loose. He disappeared back under the brush and I never saw him again...sigh.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Ive caught quite a few over the years last year I kept catching the same Golden out of this Huge hole and I threw him back every time I know I caught him 5 different times through out the year, and this hole gets pounded to death. I wonder if he made it thru the year or if someone kept him.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Teenager right next to me last night caught one at my lake... was not the same one this one was only about 15 inches. The boy threw him back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts