The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking for a good spot to deer hunt an came across this spot in Arnold I was trying to find out some more info about this area for deer hunting .
Is this a good area or where would you all say that's a real good area to hunt in allegheny ?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
the biggest deer in Pennsylvania I have ever seen we're in Allegheny County. I use to live in the apartments called the treetop towers. They are the apartments on the right heading into Pittsburgh right before the Squirrel Hill tunnels. Year after year I would see sickly enormous size buck through the windows. It was crazy I just couldn't hunt there the property back up to a park

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Big-Ben said:
Hello, I'm looking for a good spot to deer hunt an came across this spot in Arnold I was trying to find out some more info about this area for deer hunting .
Is this a good area or where would you all say that's a real good area to hunt in allegheny ?
If you can find a spot in Allegheny County that has not been already pounded by hunters, you have found a potential gold mine. Most of the spots that have easy access or are not posted get hit hard. Many without permission. If you have a spot that is posted and you have permission, the hunting will be good. If it is tight, consider bowhunting only. Many of my spots are tiny, but they hold deer. Just have to mindful of safety zones and making sure that any deer you shoot stays in the woods and does not run into someones yard.

Another thing, local ordinances do not supercede game laws. If you are legaly hunting with permission, you can hunt private property within any township or municipality.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Arnold is Northeast of Pittsburgh 20 - 30 miles. Above New Kensington.

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
GIE said:
Arnold is Northeast of Pittsburgh 20 - 30 miles. Above New Kensington.
Yep. It is out there a bit. Was just givin info about the ins and outs of hunting the big city.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Arnold is in Westmoreland County. It is nearly 100% developed, so I can't imagine where one would actually hunt in Arnold.

It is a good place to carry a weapon if your in town, just not for hunting purposes...

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Fleroo said:
And how does one "make sure" that doesn't happen ? With a bow yet ?
Maybe I should have reworded to say that one must try to reduce the chances of a deer making it out of the woods into someone's yard after being shot. Does that work better for ya?

In my tighter spots, I shoot at unalarmed deer that do not suspect i am there. I shorten up my shot distances and don't track deer that I didn't see or hear fall until the next morning or late afternoon depending on when I shot them.

Even when taking all of these precautions, it can still happen. I recovered a buck 4 years ago with the help of the PGC, as it was picked up in a parking lot where it had died. I made a high double lung shot in the evening, backed out till morning and never found him. Luckily, someone told me about the PGC picking up a buck that night. I got ahold of the Wco and after a investigation, I tagged the buck the next afternoon 10 miles from where I shot it. Meat was bad but i I killed it so I tagged it.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Does that work better for ya?
No dpms, not really. Too many people are enamored with B&C scores, no offense to anybody that hunts the county, to think that what you described as your normal hunting approach in a highly populated area, will be the norm. Even at that, with near perfect shots, mortally wounded Deer are going to be crossing yards, crossing roads, entering school zones, etc... Getting back to the Mt. Lebo thread, sometimes methods other than hunting is the only viable options to some of these B&C class Deer. There just isn't another safe, and societally acceptable alternative in some cases. Everybody wants their crack at a B&C, even if that means hutning them within stone throws of swingsets and playgrounds.

Of course there are some areas in Alegheny County that afford a small chance that hunting can be accomplished safely, and with minimal public contact, but those places are few and far between.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I have shot around 50 deer in all my years and I bet only 2 or 3 were shot within a quarter mile of a house. I don't have a problem with the city hunters. The deer need controlled in the city, too. It is just not for me.
I was working here in State College several years ago when a bowhunter came into the peoples' yard tracking a deer. It was even a little freaky for me. I can see how the yuppies may not like it. However, there is no other solution for the deer control in most areas and the deer do not go to waste with hunters. The suburbs are perfect deer habitat and it creates problems.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
BB, where are you located? what part of allegheny co. are you looking to hunt?

if you bow hunt, you can apply for a permit for O'Hara Twp. it was $10 last year. here's the wikipedia link that will show you the location. it's near fox chapel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Hara_Township,_Allegheny_County,_Pennsylvania

if you hunt the south, there are some places in the elizabeth area. quite a few PGC co-ops in the area as well. check the PGC site for those maps.

just in case you weren't aware: no centerfire rifles in allegheny co. >>>bows, slug guns or muzzleloaders only<<<

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Sluggers and muzzy hunting really gets limited, given the 150 yard SZ rule. Of course there are areas in Allegheny that can be hunted that meet that rule, but they are not the norm. I would think southern Allegheny would more fit that bill ??? along the river hills, etc...

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Fleroo said:
No dpms, not really. Too many people are enamored with B&C scores, no offense to anybody that hunts the county, to think that what you described as your normal hunting approach in a highly populated area, will be the norm. Even at that, with near perfect shots, mortally wounded Deer are going to be crossing yards, crossing roads, entering school zones, etc... There just isn't another safe, and societally acceptable alternative in some cases. Everybody wants their crack at a B&C, even if that means hutning them within stone throws of swingsets and playgrounds.
en.
Don't know what to tell ya but what I describe is pretty common in the highly populated areas. I hunt these areas to primarily harvest does, not bucks. Most of the bucks I have shot have been outside of Allegheny County. No b&c aspirations when I hunt.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Not directed at you dpms. Just an "in general" comment. When folks hear Allegheny County, and look for access, it usually isn't to help out with antlerless harvests. There is alot to put up with hunting in Allegheny County if a person is looking just to do some "baldy" hunting.... ya gots to admit. Better options with less hassle for a baldy hunt.... not many better options for a B&C hunt however.

·
Registered
18,715 Posts
Yea, antlers fuels many a hunt in the burg. Many times, poor decisions are made as well which gives hunters a bad name and hurts access for others that just wish to hunt deer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
ruger1v said:
the biggest deer in Pennsylvania I have ever seen we're in Allegheny County. I use to live in the apartments called the treetop towers. They are the apartments on the right heading into Pittsburgh right before the Squirrel Hill tunnels. Year after year I would see sickly enormous size buck through the windows. It was crazy I just couldn't hunt there the property back up to a park
My truck brokedown as I headed down Commercial Street. Was able to pull up into the parking lot of the apartments. Sitting in the truck, which was facing Commercial St and just at dusk on the other side of the road the deer just started to appear.
Biggest buck I ever saw was in my backyard when I lived in Forest Hills. Just massive.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Been bow hunting allegheny co for a long time now and it's a unique experience with considerable rewards but you pay your dues too.
my buddy and I have taken around 130+ baldies and a dozen nice bucks including some nice P & Y bucks over the past 18 years from Allegheny county all with a bow or crossbow and almost all from within or very near a safety zone. The only way we get permission is by seeking landowners who want the deer removed. It's a completely different ball game in a place like Allegheny. Every hunt is different and passing shots is just part of the game. Do we still wind up with deer that die in front yards? Yep. The key to getting and keeping permission is making it "worth it" fot a landowner to let you hunt on their property. That only requires a few things but you gotta really do those few things... First, ya gotta kill deer. you can't just take your buck and come
back next year and expect to be welcome. Second, take the time to explain all aspects of what you're doing including discussing the possibilty that they could wind up with a dead bloody deer in their garden. Third, stop and let em know about every kill, thank em, and offer to share. (very few want any venison). Fourth, keep in touch all year. Stop and say hello when
you pull treestands, when you set trailcams, when you scout, etc.

Oh yeah, suburban deer spend ALL their time around people and are a lot smarter than you'd wanna think. Way smarter than big woods deer.

Allegheny most definitely has some great deer hunting but that doesn't mean it's easy. Far from it!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
iez44 said:
BB, where are you located? what part of allegheny co. are you looking to hunt?

if you bow hunt, you can apply for a permit for O'Hara Twp. it was $10 last year. here's the wikipedia link that will show you the location. it's near fox chapel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O'Hara_Township,_Allegheny_County,_Pennsylvania

if you hunt the south, there are some places in the elizabeth area. quite a few PGC co-ops in the area as well. check the PGC site for those maps.

just in case you weren't aware: no centerfire rifles in allegheny co. >>>bows, slug guns or muzzleloaders only<<<
Years ago about 1989, I was given a citation by the O'Hara Twp police for archery hunting. OHara then prohibited hunting (period) Went to the idiot Magistrate in Sharpsburg to pay what I presumed was a $25 fine and get on with life. He fined me $300. Long story short I appealed and went to Common pleas court with the Commonwealth decision in hand which said only the Game Commision regulated hunting. I won.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts